Help! I killed grub!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LonePiper

Help! I killed grub!

Post by LonePiper »

I have just messed about with some partitions on my drives, and now Mint won't load.
In the startup when it goes to load the OS, it says something like "no such device exists" and drops me into the 'Grub Rescue' command line.
I've looked up a bunch of tutorials on how to fix this problem, but none of them work the way they should. No commands, for example, work in Grub Rescue - they all return something like "command not recognized", even the ones that I'm told are supposed to work in that command line. Even 'help' won't return anything.
A lot of the tutorials tell me to run grub through a terminal on a live CD, and fix it through there. That doesn't work either - it tells me the program 'grub' isn't installed. Using apt-get I could get it running, but then I couldn't get it to recognize my hard drive. I type "find boot/grub/stage1" and it says device not found.
And my hard drive is definitely there - I can access it through dolphin using the Live CD no problem.
Have I borked it beyond repair? I get the strong feeling that I'm going to have to reinstall from scratch, but I really don't want to if I don't have to. Anyone got any bright ideas?
Cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Help! I killed grub!

Post by tdockery97 »

This should help in reinstalling Grub from a live cd:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... 20GRUB%202
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
LonePiper

Post by LonePiper »

Thanks mate. I tried this one before and it didn't work. But I just tried it again in case I mistakenly did something wrong, and I think it may have worked this time.
So I guess I'll boot out of the live CD and see if it did the trick!
LonePiper

Post by LonePiper »

Update:
It worked! (after I followed the instructions wrong a second time!)
Thanks heaps.
As a reward here's a picture of a chihuahua in a tutu:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

LonePiper wrote:Update:
It worked! (after I followed the instructions wrong a second time!)
Thanks heaps.
As a reward here's a picture of a chihuahua in a tutu:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Installation & Boot”