Mint 9 "Isadora" LXDE install fails on Windows 7 Virtual PC

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bulgrien

Mint 9 "Isadora" LXDE install fails on Windows 7 Virtual PC

Post by bulgrien »

I am attempting to install Mint 9 LXDE in a Windows Virtual PC on my Windows 7 Professional 64-bit system.
The Mint installation shuts down the Virtual PC and fails to complete. See screencast.

Any help/ideas would be most appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bulgrien

Re: Mint 9 "Isadora" LXDE install fails on Windows 7 Virtual

Post by bulgrien »

It looks like a problem with Microsoft Windows. =P
I installed VirtualBox from Sun Microsystems and the same installation went in without a glitch.
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

Same thing happened to me. As you, I had to use VirtualBox at first, then found that the free version of VM Ware Player worked better. It even offers an automatic install, making it even easier.

I posted this issue on the TechNet Fourms, which I'm a member of. Windows Virtual PC does support a limited amount of Linux OS's, but those are mainly limited to business/corporate versions of Linux, not desktop versions.

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

Same issue goes on today with Mint 11. It appears that Windows Virtual PC is geared towards business/corporate users.

Anyway, VirtualBox & VMWare Player are preferable products over Windows Virtual PC. The only use that I ever had for it, was that with Windows 7 (versions Pro & Ultimate) offers XP Mode, which is a free XP VM, mainly for businesses that ran XP for many years to be able to adapt to Windows 7. It allows for older software & some hardware (printers) to run on Windows 7.

Unless one really needs it, I recommend VirtualBox or VMWare Player.

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009

Return to “Installation & Boot”