Upgrading mint 3.0 to gutsy with upgrade??

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Upgrading mint 3.0 to gutsy with upgrade??

Postby paullinux on Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:14 pm

since Mint 3.0 is based on ubuntu Feisty I wonder what would happen if I upgrade to ubuntu gutsy, starting with Mint 3.0.

What problems do you think would emerge?
Has anyone attempted this?
paullinux
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Upgrading mint 3.0 to gutsy with upgrade??

Postby scorp123 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:53 pm

paullinux wrote:since Mint 3.0 is based on ubuntu Feisty I wonder what would happen if I upgrade to ubuntu gutsy, starting with Mint 3.0.
You'd most likely lose all the Mint-specific stuff as only the parts which are in common with Ubuntu would be upgraded. Also, Mint and Ubuntu already have some differences. The upgrade maybe wouldn't finish cleanly and leave you with a crippled system. Even if it worked cleanly ... Mint would be gone, you'd most likely have a 100% Ubuntu "Gutsy" system afterwards. I personally wouldn't recommend this.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby exploder on Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:41 pm

paullinux, scorp123 is absolutely right about this. Gutsy is extremely buggy right now, just have a look on the Ubuntu forum. Just wait for the next release of Linux Mint. There is not that much to gain anyways and gnome 2.20.0 only has a few cosmetic improvements.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby lucho115 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:54 pm

exploder wrote:paullinux, scorp123 is absolutely right about this. Gutsy is extremely buggy right now, just have a look on the Ubuntu forum. Just wait for the next release of Linux Mint. There is not that much to gain anyways and gnome 2.20.0 only has a few cosmetic improvements.

OK, now gutsy is stable, and have a lot of new things, so i would like to upgrade from cassandra to gutsy, any body doit yet? any sugeration? idea?
thks
lucho115
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:55 pm

I would not try to upgrade LinuxMint, scorp123 spelled out what will most likely happen. You can either wait for the next release of LinuxMint or try out Ubuntu Gutsy.

I have Gutsy loaded and even the final release still has some rough edges. The desktop background color will not change through the settings and must be manually edited. Gimp 2.4 RC3 is still a bit buggy but manageable. Screensavers do not start, they only start if you lock the screen.

Clem will have a beta out in the near future, most likely some of the bugs will be fixed by then. Your best bet would be to wait for the next release of LinuxMint.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby bsriram7 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:09 pm

I've never actually done an update before. I've tried a number of distributions but I've never actually updated one. And on a sidenote, great job with Linux Mint. It does far more than Ubuntu does out of the box.
Last edited by bsriram7 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bsriram7
Level 1
Level 1

Not to worry, upgrade doesn't work

Postby LanDroid on Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:23 am

I decided to try the upgrade to Ubuntu 7.10 anyway mainly because I don't agree with the new Celena policy preventing routine security updates. (And I'm lazy, thought this might be easier than downloading the ISO, etc.) Don't bother, the upgrade doesn't work - I received the following message...

Can't guess meta-package
Your system does not contain a ubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop or edubuntu-desktop package and it was not possible to detect which version of Ubuntu you are running. Please install one of the packages above first using synaptic or apt-get before proceeding.

FYI: Currently running Cassandra 3.0
LanDroid
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mcdona on Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:48 am

when i dist-upgrade my celena to gutsy, it hang, it said not found /dev/hda1
so i have to download gutsy-desktop-cd to reinstall.
mcdona
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scorp123 on Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:29 am

lucho115 wrote: OK, now gutsy is stable
Says who??? It's buggy like hell. I spent the whole night (now *that* should tell you something ...) trying to figure things out ... Things that worked tip top in 7.04 but they now broke in 7.10 ... Thanks but no thanks. I suggest we wait a few weeks until the first patches start coming out .... !
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Upgrading mint 3.0 to gutsy with upgrade??

Postby tabor on Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:12 pm

paullinux wrote:since Mint 3.0 is based on ubuntu Feisty I wonder what would happen if I upgrade to ubuntu gutsy, starting with Mint 3.0.

What problems do you think would emerge?
Has anyone attempted this?

Problems?, yes & no. I did the upgrade on my laptop. It demands that you uninstall the Mint part of the OS. This was after downloading everything, so I had to redownload after uninstalling the Mint part. It says you have to reinstall the Mint part after installation, but it did that it itself. It also said you have to reactivate the restricted drivers, but it did that itself also. The installation on the laptop worked out in the end.
When I attempted the install on the desktop it downloads the upgrade, but when it attempts to install an error message comes up & the install fails. This is the error message:

Failed to fetch http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/r...es.gz 302 Found

What does that mean?
tabor
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot