Problems trying to install Mint in an external USB HDD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sanva

Problems trying to install Mint in an external USB HDD

Post by Sanva »

Hi.

Today I've installed Linux Mint 9 (Main edition) in an external USB HDD connected to an Acer Aspire One from one friend of mime. It works, I've installed the system from a LiveUSB to the external HDD and them I could boot from it and use the system.

But later I did some reboots —installing programs and so on— and the system stops booting. So, I thought that I'd done something wrong, but the most funny thing is that now I can't boot even from de LiveUSB —and I tried the same LiveUSB plus another options, like Linux Mint 9 LXDE and even GParted LiveUSB.

Have you got any idea about this strange situation?

Could it be the internal-problematic SSD which could suddenly wake up to disturb me?? I explain: I'm doing this installing-in-an-external-HDD thing because the internal SSD have died a few weeks ago —it appears to be defective, I can't reinstall Mint in it and sometimes it even disappears from the BIOS.

What do you think, should I dismount the neetbook (nice thing to do ¬¬ ) and remove it??

Thanks for your time, and forgive me if my English is bad :S
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Problems trying to install Mint in an external USB HDD

Post by libssd »

From your description, I'm guessing this is an early AA1 with the 8.9" screen and hardware that is intentionally inaccessible to the end user. If so, then booting from an SDHC card is not an option, as it is on 10.1" AA1s.

In the Acer BIOS, which device is set to be first in the boot order? (If you haven't enabled it already, hold down the F2 key during the boot sequence to get to BIOS config. You can change a setting so that you can choose among devices during the boot sequence by holding down the F12 key). If the USB HDD is already the default device, I'm out of ideas.
Sanva

Re: Problems trying to install Mint in an external USB HDD

Post by Sanva »

Hi.

The USB HDD is not the default device, but it tries to boot, I see the blinking dash of the "command line" disappears for a few seconds and the red led of the external HDD case blinking, but later the blinking dash returns... so it can't boot the system —and if I try with a LiveUSB the same happens, it boots the main "GRUB" (I'm not sure if it's GRUB or not) menu with the options (start Mint, Mint in compability mode and so on) but later it fails booting the system... That's the strange point, because sooner it worked!!

:S

Return to “Installation & Boot”