No disk formating in KDE Partition Manager 1.0.1

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AMIGO

No disk formating in KDE Partition Manager 1.0.1

Post by AMIGO »

At first I want to describe my problem. I have installed Windows 7 and openSUSE 11.3 on my laptop. I decided to replace openSUSE with Linux Mint 9. I loaded liveDVD with KDE-environment and tried to install it but KDE Partition Manager 1.0.1 did not initialize the disk formating (sda1, sda2, sda3...). The installation program offered me to create new disk formating. But in this case I will lost all my data.
How can I solve this problem? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: No disk formating in KDE Partition Manager 1.0.1

Post by seeley »

Hi AMIGO!
My way installing a Linux (after Windows) is the following: burn a PartedMagic-CD (live-medium like your DVD);
it contains a lot of useful programs like GParted - the best partitioning program I know (see link below).
With Gparted you can make partitions ("/", "/home", "swap" and if you want and have enough place, "DATA", for data-exchange with windows). Afterwards you can ask if the partitioning is okay and - as a second step - install
your Mint, using your partitions without problems.
seeley
AMIGO

Post by AMIGO »

Hi! Thank you for advice, but it is not work in my case. I burnt a PartedMagic-CD, ran it, but GParted did not identify any disk formating (sda1, sda2, sda3...). It offered me to format the hard drive. But in this case, as I mentioned above, I will lost all my data.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
1. After booting your laptop: you can select Windows and openSUSE?
Choose openSUSE and run in a terminal/ konsole (you have Gnome or KDE or..? - Please transfer this information, it's important to know) as a root:

Code: Select all

fdisk -l
, where "l" is a little "L" like list and post the output; if you have Gnome and parted is installed, you can
run

Code: Select all

parted -l print
2. The PartedMagic-CD includes tools to mount partitions and read data contents. You are able to access
your data?
seeley

Return to “Installation & Boot”