Liquorix Kernel

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dsmturbo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Liquorix Kernel

Post by dsmturbo »

vincent wrote:Just like I thought, you haven't even added Liquorix to your sources.list yet!

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
And somewhere in that file, insert the following line:

deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main
Now run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install '^liquorix-([^-]+-)?keyring.?'
And then you can proceed to install Liquorix itself, either with apt-get or Synaptic.
Sorry to hijack thread, but is Synaptic the Software manager in LMDE?
I am also a real newbie here.
I get a choice of linux-kernel-headers 686 something, not sure what to pick and install
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Synaptic is the package manager. It's not quite the same thing as the software manager, although they do pretty much the same thing. Synaptic is common to Debian, Ubuntu, and other Debian derivatives. The software manager is a Mint addition. You may not see the Liquorix kernel in either until you add the kernel, then you'll get the updates.
dsmturbo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dsmturbo »

sgosnell wrote:Synaptic is the package manager. It's not quite the same thing as the software manager, although they do pretty much the same thing. Synaptic is common to Debian, Ubuntu, and other Debian derivatives. The software manager is a Mint addition. You may not see the Liquorix kernel in either until you add the kernel, then you'll get the updates.
Yes I did find the Synaptic manager.

I entered all the terminal commands that Vincent had posted, and so I believe I am seeing liquorix packages, but not too sure of what I need for the kernel update?
I can see a dmz and some kernel-headers
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Install the linux-image-2.6.37-0.dmz.3-liquorix-686 package. There is a .5 kernel available, but I've seen reports of it breaking some things, and I haven't tried it yet. After you install it, run "sudo update-grub" in order for the kernel to show up in the grub menu.
dsmturbo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dsmturbo »

sgosnell wrote:Install the linux-image-2.6.37-0.dmz.3-liquorix-686 package. There is a .5 kernel available, but I've seen reports of it breaking some things, and I haven't tried it yet. After you install it, run "sudo update-grub" in order for the kernel to show up in the grub menu.
All I can see is the .5 files
vincent

Post by vincent »

The .5 files work perfectly fine for me.

/me shrugs
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Interesting try without running sudo update-grub..
I was with 2.6.37-0.dmz.4-liquorix-amd64 kernel
then to move to 2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64, I used synaptic to install.
watched the terminal and saw that the OS prober was detecting all other partitions.

so at the end of synaptic installation, I just try to see if I can get by without running sudo update-grub..

Well, upon reboot, .5 was added onto the grub.cfg

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64' --class linuxmint --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='(/dev/sda,msdos12)'
	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 38b3f071-175f-46e3-ad2b-4caa388a5958
	echo	'Loading Linux 2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64 ...'
	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64 root=UUID=38b3f071-175f-46e3-ad2b-4caa388a5958 ro  quiet
	echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64
}
menuentry 'LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64 (recovery mode)' --class linuxmint --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='(/dev/sda,msdos12)'
	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 38b3f071-175f-46e3-ad2b-4caa388a5958
	echo	'Loading Linux 2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64 ...'
	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64 root=UUID=38b3f071-175f-46e3-ad2b-4caa388a5958 ro single 
	echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64
}
so no need to run sudo-grub for my experiment today

uname -a
Linux i3 2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 22 20:44:01 CST 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Return to “Installation & Boot”