Some require Windows

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Some require Windows

Postby hakon on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:44 am

Hi, my Laptop is Linux only, and I am very happy with LM 9. This morning I had to realize that the world around us is geared by Windows. Wanted to update the DSL firmware using Firefox. Since I couldn't get it to work I called the help line of the German Telekom, and was told in would work only with the Internet Explorer, which I don't have.

I solved the problem by using an older Windows PC. Is there another option? I really don't want to install Windoze on my Laptop.

I recently bought a new digital camera. The software provided requires Windows, or MAC. Tried to install it under Wine but no success. It seems tha outside world is forcing us to use Windows!

Cheers, Hakon
hakon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Some require Windows

Postby hinto on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:40 pm

Create a Windows virtual machine with VMWare or VirtualBox. I run VMWare in unity mode which allows me to use the apps, without the Windows Desktop. It's cool to see others eyes pop when IE wobbles and dodges across the screen ;)
-Hinto
What brought me to Debian was one-stop shopping.
What brought me to SID was apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.
hinto
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Elisa on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:59 pm

hakon wrote:Hi, my Laptop is Linux only, and I am very happy with LM 9. This morning I had to realize that the world around us is geared by Windows. Wanted to update the DSL firmware using Firefox. Since I couldn't get it to work I called the help line of the German Telekom, and was told in would work only with the Internet Explorer, which I don't have.

I solved the problem by using an older Windows PC. Is there another option? I really don't want to install Windoze on my Laptop.

I recently bought a new digital camera. The software provided requires Windows, or MAC. Tried to install it under Wine but no success. It seems tha outside world is forcing us to use Windows!

Cheers, Hakon

Well, I cannot agree with all you said like "...the outside world is forcing us to use Windows...".
Windows is like a disease which you can live with but there is no reason to live with any disease at all :wink:

If the Mr. Loser, which told you that you need MS IE to update DSL, I'd at once force the seller to pay back money! And I'd arrange another DSL where - no need to use Microsoft :x

The same as for you camera. The same as for buying laptops.
In some countries (like our - last s***ty commies country :? ) there are many "re-sellers" which are selling laptops with pre-installed Windows :x :evil:
And you won't get money back if you will try to give the Windows away back to seller...

So, will you follow their policy, like a nice (but silly) sheep or you will set your will on at last ? And buy a laptop with no OS ?
All depends on you, your choice and this way can be world changed, not let Big Brother rule... :wink:

But Hinto's advice is good just I have to add - you do not need to use VMWare but VirtualBox which has the same functions and features and it is free :wink:
Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test
Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Postby hinto on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:28 pm

VMPlayer is free, too. I use it everyday.
-Hinto
What brought me to Debian was one-stop shopping.
What brought me to SID was apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.
hinto
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot