[Solved] How to install Linux mint 9 or 10 on an imac 27 ?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dupo

[Solved] How to install Linux mint 9 or 10 on an imac 27 ?

Post by Dupo »

Hi everybody,

someone tries to install Linux Mint on his Imac 27, but he has a problem. In fact, he tells me that when he tries to boot or to install Linux Mint he has a black screen.

here's his configuration :

Imac 27

- Intel Core 2 Duo 3,06 GHz.
- ATI Radeon HD 4670.
- 4 Go ram.

Is it possible to install Linux Mint and/or to use livecd/dvd on this kind of computer ?

Have you got a solution ?

He told me that Ubuntu uses F4 key for the "safe graphics mode". Are there a similary mode for Mint ?

Thanks.

Dupo.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: How to install Linux mint 9 or 10 on an imac 27 ?

Post by dawgdoc »

This sounds a lot like the kernel modesetting issue. I have not seen the question raised re: iMacs, but you are using an Intel chipset and AMD graphics card, so the hardware seems to be comparable.

In another thread I posted this
It sounds like you may have stumbled into the Kernel Modesetting (KMS) issue. It can manifest in several ways. Check this post. First try the nomodeset boot parameter outlined in the post and its links before trying the commands for specific hardware.
Dupo

Re: How to install Linux mint 9 or 10 on an imac 27 ?

Post by Dupo »

Hi dawgdoc,

thank you very much for your help. :wink:

radeon.modeset=0 was the good option. :D

The problem is solved. It wasn't for me but for an other user. He is very happy. :wink:

bye.

Return to “Installation & Boot”