xp / mint 9 dual boot...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

xp / mint 9 dual boot...

Post by 140 »

OK, so I normally can figure stuff out on my own by searching and reading, but I'm stumped. I had a solely XP computer and have become more and more displeased with Microsoft... enter Mint 9... my favorite of all the live cds I tried. I'm completely new to linux in general. Grub 1.98 comes up with 6 options. 1:Mint 9, 2: Mint 9 Recovery, 3: Memtest86, 4: Memtest86 serial consol, 5: NT/ME/2000 (FAT32 XP Recovery), 6: MS XP Home. For now I'd like XP to be the default boot option, as that's what my wife and I can actually "operate" in for now, while we (I) learn linux.

All of the posts I can find refer me to sudo gedit/boot/grub/menu.lst. But menu.lst seemingly doesn't exist. I have been down the tree in "root" all the way to "grub" but menu.lst is not there. Step by step instructions would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Ryan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Txnca

Re: xp / mint 9 dual boot...

Post by Txnca »

Here is the link to the way to fix your issue. They have a new file and it is called grub.cfg. It isn't supposed to be configured by hand, so they give you a program that will. It has a way to change the default boot to something else. It tells you how.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual ... figuration

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I am not too familiar with the new grub yet. Hope this gets you fixed up!

Re: xp / mint 9 dual boot...

Post by 140 »

OK, so I got frustrated with trying to fix boot issues and decided to fry smaller fish... like single click mouse and internet connections. Thats when I noticed a "startup preferences" option somewhere in the "start" menu (Im in xp, and cant remember the names of everything. Currently the internet in Mint isn't up and going).There was a list of which systems I could set to boot into by default. Simply clicked on windows xp, no editing, no writing... nothing. Easy. Now back to the smaller fish.

Return to “Installation & Boot”