cassandra xfce edition on an old laptop - a lot of problems

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

cassandra xfce edition on an old laptop - a lot of problems

Postby lucho115 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

OK, my laptop is a compaq presario 1692 - amd k6-2 500mhz, 192 mb of ram, and a 6.4gb hd. The distro install ok. And then starts the problems:

1- splash never appear, and spend 6 minutes to get gdm, but if i remove splash and acpi (my laptop only works ok with apm) from grub, its spend only 1:30 to get gdm up. So why splash doesnt work?

2- i cant shutdown correctly the laptop, if i press exit, never appear the window where i choose what to do, and if i open and xtem window and tipe: "sudo init 0", the laptop start shutdown but dont finish, it hang and a lot of big caracters with colors appear on screen, so i need to power off by pressing the power botton.

3- i cant get a tty console from X, if i type ALT - F1(or F2, F3, etc..) i get a black screen, so to back to x i press CTRL - ALT - F8 and back ok. SO the only mode to get console is with xterm. Why?

I have to say that i run debian etch in other partition and its run ok, so the laptop have no problems.
So, can anybody help me to solve this issues?
Maybe i need to recompile the kernel??

thakns, and sorry about my english
bye
lucho115
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:18 am

You are very low on memory, so low that I think something has to be swapped all the time...
On the other hand xfce uses less memory but I still think you get the problems from only 196 MB
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby lucho115 on Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:57 am

I dont think that the problem is the low mem, because like i said, i have runing in other partition debien etch with gnome , etch is like you said swaping all the time, so is slow but its works ok all the time, i can get console, i can use splash, i can shutdown corectly the laptop.
So i think that maybe e kernel problem, but in the past i had installed xubuntu feisty that have the same kernel and get similar issues more or less, splash doesnt work and i cant access console but shutdown works ok.
If you or others have another idea about, it will be great.
thks bye
lucho115
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot