Locking up/restarting at desktop off of the DVD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mastery

Locking up/restarting at desktop off of the DVD

Post by mastery »

Just downloaded Mint 10. After DVD loads to the desktop, mouse pointer appears, bottom taskbar appears, and desktop icons of Computer, Home, and Install Linux Mint appears. If I move the mouse the system immediately locks up. Mouse pointer freezes, and have to do a hard reset. This happens within 5 seconds of desktop icons appearing.

If I don't use the mouse at all, the desktop loads, and about 10 seconds later, it automatically reboots. So, no matter what I try, it either locks up or auto reboots. The screen, while up, does have a good colors and looks good, so I'm sure it's not the video card.

I've even managed to "hurry up" and click on the Install Mint 10 icon, but it still freezes once the first window (language choice) appears.

So far, I've tried the following:
- Ran memory test (passes fine)
- Checked integrity of DVD (passes fine)
- Started in compatibility mode (gets to terminal, but not sure what to type in there...I'm a newbie...but keyboard is working fine there)
- Swapped out keyboard and mouse
- Took out all RAM (4x1GB) and tried every configuration I can think of
- Unplugged Ethernet cable, and everything else except for the keyboard/mouse
- Connecting a USB DVD drive, and disconnecting internal DVD drive
- Swapping out video cards to a older video card

I had the same problem with my desktop when trying to install Mint 9 a few weeks ago. It installed on my laptop fine.

My desktop has the following specs:
- AMD x2 2.4GHz (dual processor)
- 4GB OCZ DDR2-800 RAM
- ECS NForce4M-A mobo
- ATI Radeon HD 4670 video card

What would lock the system up as soon as the icons on the desktop appear? Can I get some ideas how to troubleshoot this? Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mastery

Re: Locking up/restarting at desktop off of the DVD

Post by mastery »

Anybody have any ideas? Tried a lot of things, couldn't get it to work at all without locking up. Probably tried installing 20 times, farthest I've gotten was after the formatting of the partition it was going on.

Next thing I'm going to try is an Ubuntu install on the desktop, and see if it causes the same problems. Downloading it now.
mastery

Post by mastery »

mastery wrote:Next thing I'm going to try is an Ubuntu install on the desktop, and see if it causes the same problems. Downloading it now.
Well, that didn't work. Exact same problem.
mastery

Post by mastery »

Looks like not a lot of info to help here, probably something that needs to be looked at deeper. So, how would I go about reporting this issue to those that track such things, to possibly address the issue?

Return to “Installation & Boot”