usb install - where do updates go?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pixeld00d

usb install - where do updates go?

Post by pixeld00d »

Hi... I have a Mint 10 install running off a 4gb USB stick. I installed with a 2gb casper-rw for persistence. Question: when mint installs updates, do the updates affect the size of the system side of the stick only, or do they eat up space within the casper-rw? Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: usb install - where do updates go?

Post by vincent »

When you install updates from the package manager, all packages are downloaded and stored within /var/cache/apt/archives. Over time, these packages will end up taking a lot of space, but you can clear your APT archive easily by typing the following in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get clean
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: usb install - where do updates go?

Post by remoulder »

pixeld00d wrote: I have a Mint 10 install running off a 4gb USB stick
Did you install to the USB drive or create a bootable USB drive from the .iso? If the latter you cannot update some things and attempting to do so may render the drive unbootable.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Installation & Boot”