Grub disappeared when installing updates

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dms05

Grub disappeared when installing updates

Post by dms05 »

I run Mint 9 on a Netbook alongside XP. I have also installed Ubuntu Unity and Kubuntu 10.10 on the same system. All worked well and Grub offered each OS at boot.

Today I installed a number of updates offered by Mint 9 but at reboot all options except Mint and XP have disappeared and the system appears to have reverted to the original Mint/XP Grub. An alternative Grub had been installed when I added Ubuntu etc.

How can I retrieve the correct Grub to allow access to all the Distro's I have installed on the HDD?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Grub disappeared when installing updates

Post by JasonLG »

dms05 wrote:I run Mint 9 on a Netbook alongside XP. I have also installed Ubuntu Unity and Kubuntu 10.10 on the same system. All worked well and Grub offered each OS at boot.

Today I installed a number of updates offered by Mint 9 but at reboot all options except Mint and XP have disappeared and the system appears to have reverted to the original Mint/XP Grub. An alternative Grub had been installed when I added Ubuntu etc.

How can I retrieve the correct Grub to allow access to all the Distro's I have installed on the HDD?
Try entering this in a terminal in Mint 9.

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
dms05

Re: Grub disappeared when installing updates

Post by dms05 »

Try entering this in a terminal in Mint 9.
Code: Select all
sudo update-grub

Thanks for that JasonLG. I tried it and received an error! Text was:

Generating grub.cfg.....
/etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme.save: line 13: syntax error near unexpected token 'fi'

I was wondering if I use sudo grub-install will it detect all the OS's on the HDD?

Return to “Installation & Boot”