Short question about two bootable disks

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Short question about two bootable disks

Postby Peter Witteveen on Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:56 am

Hi folks,

Just a small question:

I have 2 HDD's in my comp. One of them is completely empty and the other one has a dual boot on it with winXP and Linux Mint 2.1 Bea.

My plan is to enter the BIOS, select to boot from the empty disk, and install a dual boot Linux Mint 3.1 with winVista for my games on this empty disk.

Will this affect my other dual boot disk in some way? in other words, will i be able to change the boot setting back in the BIOS so i will have my old operating systems back in case something goes wrong (i don't trust vista very well)? I was wondering whether GRUB might go crazy if there are suddenly 2 new OS' on a second disk.

:)

greetings

Peter
Peter Witteveen
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby scorp123 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:13 am

Windows has the nasty habit of overwriting every non-Microsoft boot loader it finds on *any* disk. Best thing would be to completely disconnect your other disk before installing Windows. Always make sure you install Windows *first* .... and then Linux *afterwards*.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Peter Witteveen on Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:19 am

Thanks for your help,

So what you mean is disconnecting the old disk physically, like pulling out the data plug? This is sad news, because the old disk contains not only my old OS' but this is also my data disk (here are all my downloads and such).

So if i am sure my Mint/vista boot works, i should reconnect my old disk, and the old bootloader is gone? and my data will be allright?
Peter Witteveen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:09 am

Only disconnect during install - after that you're safe
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Peter Witteveen on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:55 am

Thanks

so after I have installed WinVista and Linux Mint 3.1, I can safely connect my old HDD again and my old Grub will be safe?
Peter Witteveen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:05 am

Basically - yes.
But now you have two grubs and the one in charge is the one in the MBR of drive # 1
You'll have to edit that grub to load the other grub if you want that disk, or change boot order in BIOS
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot