Question on linux-swap

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ckosloff

Question on linux-swap

Post by ckosloff »

What is better: to configure linux-swap partition as Primary or Extended?
Please let me know the reason behind your answer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Question on linux-swap

Post by proxima_centauri »

It makes no difference in terms of performance.

Remember you can only have 4 primary or extended partitions, if you are concerned about adding more operating systems, or needing more partitions for whatever use, you could create an extended partition, with your separate logical partitions inside for Linux, SWAP, /home, etc. You typically wouldn't create an extended partition for just SWAP as it defeats the purpose.

For example, you could have Windows on a primary partition (1), Linux system, /home/ and SWAP on an extended partition (2). Now you still have the option of creating 2 more independent partitions. If you had all primary partitions, then you would have Windows (1), Linux [/] (2), /home (3), and SWAP (4) - now you cannot create anymore partitions.

Hopefully that made some sense :?
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

If you think you will need more than 4 partitions, including the swap partition, then put it on an extended partition. Otherwise it's not worth the trouble. If the installer uses an extended partition, then don't worry about it. It's really not that important.
ckosloff

Re: Question on linux-swap [SOLVED]

Post by ckosloff »

Thanks for all answers.
It's clear for me that I will create a primary linux-swap partition at the beginning of the drive.
On that drive I will only have Linux on ext4, all the other OS (if needed for testing) can go inside a virtual machine, no need to create that many partitions.
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

If I set up a dual boot having Windows pre-installed , I always create an Extended, and make logical partitions for ALL my Linux. This way it does NOT matter what order you have the Swap , Home , and Root partitions.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6501752/gparted.jpeg

Return to “Installation & Boot”