Mint 10 Installer stuck [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
admiralspark

Mint 10 Installer stuck [SOLVED]

Post by admiralspark »

Hello all!
I'm currently trying to install Mint 10 on a friend's laptop (he's interested in learning linux). As with every Mint install, I expected it to go flawlessly, however I've run into a bit of a problem.
I've run through the install screens until I get to the page asking for name, password, login etc. When I get here, fill everything in, no matter how long I wait the forward button does not become functional (see attached).
Mint is being installed to it's own, 12gb partition (ext3) with more than enough swap, I tried with and without updates installed and still no go....
Could this be a problem with a corrupt harddrive formatting or would it possibly work with the proprietary nVidia driver installed? Could the .iso be corrupt? I can't figure this out...a command line install of Debian would be a piece of cake for me, but the graphical mint installer won't even spit me an error code...it says "ready when you are..." :evil:
I feel that Mint is the way to go for his first taste, since he hated Ubuntu's Mac-esque theme with a passion (we both hate Apple's in general).

Thanks for your time,
-Kris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Mint 10 Installer stuck

Post by DataMan »

A couple of initial questions on the installation attempt:

1. The LiveCD you are using was used previously for a successful installation?
2. You are able to fully boot into the LiveCD and run Mint programs from there on the intended laptop?

Respond on these and hold on as other members of the community should be able to provide additional assistance (I'm off for a few hours).

-DataMan
admiralspark

Post by admiralspark »

Ah! Sorry, totally forgot (1:45AM here).
The liveCD is actually a unetbootin install to a 4gb drive, which I've used before with success. The copy of the iso is one he downloaded from a torrent, and the disk check came out okay.
The computer is an Asus g50-series laptop, dual core, 4gb ram, 160-200gb harddrive (linux isn't quite sure, I'm guessing 160). Boots into Mint from liveusb just fine, all programs work. Is there a way to get a more verbose output than the graphical installer gives? Dmesg maybe?
Devon

Post by Devon »

I registered just to post here - I had the same problem, turns out it was just that I had used a Capital letter for the start of my username. So, try with lowercase for your username.

Good Luck
admiralspark

Post by admiralspark »

*Facepalm*
I knew that too! Thanks a bunch! Thread solved.
ghostrider678

Re: Mint 10 Installer stuck [SOLVED]

Post by ghostrider678 »

thanks for the info devon. :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”