Making Boot Disk the Hard way tutorial of sorts

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Making Boot Disk the Hard way tutorial of sorts

Postby reagentz on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:52 pm

I'm semi-new to Linux but not to burning CD images. I tried every thing mentioned in all the "howtos" and still could not get my laptop to boot the burned CD.

I'm using Nero 6 Ultra Edition, and installing LinuxMint on a MacBook Core 2 Duo. During boot with a "howto burn CD boot disk", I would get the header ISOLINUX 3.11 Debian x x x... it would sit there forever! then it would say Boot Failed press a key to retry.

I started thinking, okay I check the MD5 stuff etc etc. I know my download is good, I know my CDrom(s) work. I then thought, hey! I have a couple virtual drives setup.

I got a new blank CD went back into Nero, Recorder > Copy CD. I mounted the linuxmint3.1.iso on a virtual drive, point Nero 6 there as the source, and made sure my burner was setup. I reduced the burn process in half (old trick to get a burn to work if CD was burning to fast and giving errors on CD after burn). It took about 8-9 minutes, I didn't verify CD, instead I just pushed the tray back in (Nero ejects when done), and make sure all the file contents were there; they were so I took the CD out.

Popped CD back into my MacBook did a power down restart, after a few moments of crossed fingers and deep sighs the most beautiful thing in the world came up "LinuxMint from freedom to elegance" with options on the GUI and a count down to start. Everything booted up into the initial Gnome-style system and there was the icon "install" to double click.

Made all my selections, and it installed like a champ. I did run into one issue which I will make another post on and I think it has something to do with proprietary hardware with MacBook and it not loading the WiFi Ipv6 during boot.

Hope this helps someone out!
reagentz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:46 am

The IPv6 module is blacklisted as no one (?) is using it - yet and it can give some problems
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Acid_1 on Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:07 pm

If you want to disable ipv6 you can remove it from the blacklist. I've never done it, all i used was fwcutter, but im using a dell but, anyhow, type

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

then at the very bottom, unless you already edited it, there should be

# disable ipv6
blacklist ipv6

erase it, and ipv6 should load on boot. i don't know the repercussions of doing this, as it is off by default, but you can always try.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Installation & Boot