Upgrading from Isadora (9) to Julia (10)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dmhm

Upgrading from Isadora (9) to Julia (10)

Post by dmhm »

Isadora is running just fine so I wonder whether I should install Julia over it, or along side it in the same partition (if possible) or parallel (in another partition).
(That is assuming Julia will even install over Isadora which may not be true).

The issue being whether to save my configurations and added programs or begin over but assure that Isadora continues to function as it does at present.

Another issue is whether Julia is likely be a significant improvement, in some way.

Any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated. (I checked the archives but didn't notice this issue, which I suppose could have been posted to the newbie section).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lauren

Re: Upgrading from Isadora (9) to Julia (10)

Post by lauren »

Hi!
That's an often asked question. It depends on the capacity of your hd and if you have free time. Important, too, if on your hd there is an own home partition.
Could you please post the output of

Code: Select all

sudo gparted -l print
l like list.
Starting

sudo gparted
you have an graphical overview.
lauren
dmhm

Post by dmhm »

lauren wrote:Hi!
It depends on the capacity of your hd and if you have free time. Important, too, if on your hd there is an own home partition.
Could you please post the output of

sudo gparted -l print
l like list.
Starting

sudo gparted
you have an graphical overview.
lauren
I had to install gparted via the software manager and on running it somehow it found no devices

In fact, gparted thinks the entire 700 Gb disk is unallocated.

IAC, let me rephrase my doubts:

I would prefer to NOT lose my current installation. If I can install Mint 10 OVER Mint 9 with little chance of losing the functionality of Mint 9 (an OS that is currently serving my purposes) I would risk installing it.

BUT if (on the other hand) I can NOT do that and would have to either ERASE Mint 9 (to install Mint 10 in the same partition) or install Julia in a separate partition (and have to reconfigure and reinstall all the additional apps installed since the original installation), I'd have to determine whether I really need the upgrade at this time or not.

In other words: If there's a way to upgrade to Julia WITHOUT installing from the Julia iso image (using apt to install the new kernal in Isadora for instance), that might be preferable.

In conclusion: With 2 700 Gb drives installed, the partitions are not so much of a problem for me at the point. It's the value of the upgrade (I'll study "What's new in Julia) and the fact that (as far as I know) Mint 9 Gnome is not a rolling version. Or is it?

TIA
lauren

Post by lauren »

Hi!
1. Your desktop is Gnome?
2. GParted on a Linux distribution is not the latest version; with GParted live CD I never had troubles (i made dozens of partitioning).
3, What happens after running "sudo parted -l print"?
4. If this does not work, too, you could post

sudo fdisk -l
It would be helpful to know.
lauren
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi dmhm!
First: It is not possible to install Julia in the same partition as Isadora.
Second: Your hd size is 700 GB, for an installation you only need about 10 GB, so you could add Julia, but before installing you should create new partitions, in particular root and home for Julia.
To help we must know how many primary partitions you have on your hd (max. 4!).
seeley
lauren

Post by lauren »

Hi!
Mint Gnome is not a rolling distribution (-> LM Debian).
If you upgrade Mint Gnome 9 -> 10, you can keep your data and personal settings (but I only made that with on own home partition - so I have no experience when a distribution had been installed on only 1 partition).
The best way of installing is at least a root- and a home-partition.
lauren
dmhm

Post by dmhm »

First of all, thank you for your attention.
1. Your desktop is Gnome?
Yes, this desktop computer is running the 64 bit version of Mint Isadora with Gnome.
lauren wrote:2. GParted on a Linux distribution is not the latest version; with GParted live CD I never had troubles (i made dozens of partitioning).
I believe you. Besides, a couple of the partitions (1 ntfs and 1 ext4) aren't normal - they were corrupted in some way - although they are accessible.
lauren wrote:3, What happens after running "sudo parted -l print"?
unrecognized disk label

[quote="lauren"4. If this does not work, too, you could post

sudo fdisk -l
fdisk says table entries are not in disk order, then gives me data about one partition and the device boot partition
lauren wrote:It would be helpful to know.
lauren
Yes, but my main concern is not related to the partitions.

My main concern is whether I can install julia while retaining my Isadora configuratiojn and if not, whether I should install Julia separately, because i do NOT want to eliminate an OS (Isadora) that is functioning perfectly, even running a couple of Windows apps that I depend on at present (Eccopro & The Bat!).
dmhm

Post by dmhm »

Mint Gnome is not a rolling distribution (-> LM Debian).
Some one on another thread said that LXDE is also - but there's no 64 bit version of Mint 9 LXDE and I need that to take advantage of the RAM installed. (The Debian version is also 32 bit).
lauren wrote:If you upgrade Mint Gnome 9 -> 10, you can keep your data and personal settings (but I only made that with on own home partition - so I have no experience when a distribution had been installed on only 1 partition).
The best way of installing is at least a root- and a home-partition.
lauren
Then that is what I need to know - how to install Julia using separate partitions for the OS(s), configuration files and applications. And since additional apps and packages are installed automatically, how would I direct the installation of those additional apps and packages to the correct partition?

Thanks for the orientation.
dmhm

Post by dmhm »

Seeley clarified:
seeley wrote:First: It is not possible to install Julia in the same partition as Isadora.seeley
I interpret that to mean that either one or the other will occupy the partition.
seeley wrote: Second: Your hd size is 700 GB, for an installation you only need about 10 GB, so you could add Julia, but before installing you should create new partitions, in particular root and home for Julia.seeley
i assume that this would best be done while installing julia, rather than before or after. Please confirm.
seeley wrote:To help we must know how many primary partitions you have on your hd (max. 4!).
seeley
Since there are two HDs, that leaves plenty of space. in fact, I disconnected one temporarily.

Win7 (which is also installed) gobbles 2 primary partitions. At present, I am reading and writing to the same data files from both Win7 and Mint. These are located on a couple of ntfs partitions, which are in an extended partition, along with a couple of linux partitions and a swap partition. I also created a usr partition that doesn't seem to have anything on it.

So I need to know how I can get the installation to create the addition partitions I need and how to use them to separate the things that will and won't be changed when new versions come out. (In Win I created three types of partitions, for OSs, Apps and Data), but the modular structure plus the frequent improvements that are possible given the large number of user/developers opens new possibilities.

I'd like to eliminate everything M$ ASAP but need to understand how to take advantage of the ability that Open Source Unix-like OS's provide and the ones that have worked best on my 2 computers (desktop and notebook) are Debian / Ubuntu / Mint based. (Peppermint Ice is on the Thinkpad 100e). Also, once Win7 is gone I can use a journaling FS partition for greater data safety.

Once again: I wish I knew how I can get the installation to create the addition partitions I need to separate the things that will and won't be changed when new versions come out and be able to keep both my applications and data (particularly the latter) away from the OS's.

I can make the partitions, but when do I do it how do I get Mint to use them?

Also, I've been having trouble hibernating, which I suspect has something to do with the OS's use of the swap partition. (Do I need a separate Swap Partition for each OS installed)?

What about a /boot partition?

I will probably start over with the second HD so the important thing now is define the correct critical path to accomplishing this.

Any pointers on how to do that will be greatly appreciated.
lauren

Post by lauren »

Hi!
1. you have 2 internal hard disks or 1 internal and 1 USB?
2. To avoid problems - as we had in other threads - I suggest to download and burn an image of GParted, latest version: 0.7.0.4. -> link below.
Now you need more time, but you will not regret it, because you then have optimal conditions.
3. But at the moment it would be the best, if you first run

sudo gparted
if the answer is ".. not installed...you can install it by..." do it!
Make screenshot(s) and attach the shot(s).
lauren
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
Some answers:
1. Several Linux distributions can share one swap (I once had 5 without any problem),
2. You don't need an own boot partition,
3. Partitioning from an own live medium is the best way;
some facts: on a hd you can have 4 primary or 3 primary and 1 extended partition, which contains logical partitions as e.g. root, home, swap and Data (data exchange Windows -Linux). If you only have 1 primary partition, swap or Data ... could be primary too.
4. If you want to install a new Mint, you prepare the partitions with GParted live and as a second step, during installation from your Mint live medium, you don't choose ..alongside... or ...entire disk... but
specify partitions manually (advanced)
and allocate root -> mount point "/", home -> "/home", swap needs no mount point, Data -> "/media/Data".
seeley
dmhm

Post by dmhm »

Loren wrote:
lauren wrote:
1. you have 2 internal hard disks or 1 internal and 1 USB?lauren
2 internal and 1 USB (2 x 750Gb + 1Terrabyte USB)
lauren wrote: 2. To avoid problems - as we had in other threads - I suggest to download and burn an image of GParted, latest version: 0.7.0.4. -> link below.
Now you need more time, but you will not regret it, because you then have optimal conditions.
3. But at the moment it would be the best, if you first run

sudo gparted
if the answer is ".. not installed...you can install it by..." do it!
Make screenshot(s) and attach the shot(s).
lauren
I installed gparted earlier today and all I get after typing <sudo gparted -l> gparted opens and shows NOTHING. it says "no devices detected". There's no screen shot to make.

If I run <sudo fisk -l> however i get:

Disk /dev/sda: 750.2 GB, 750156374016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 91201 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x5ab620b7

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 13 90688+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2 13 19772 158713849+ 5 Extended
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda3 19772 26210 51712816 7 HPFS/NTFS
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda4 * 26210 27516 10485720 83 Linux
Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda5 13 5027 40279648+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6 9638 15384 46157424+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda7 5027 9161 33203200 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 9161 9638 3832832 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda9 15385 19772 35239936 83 Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdb: 8011 MB, 8011120640 bytes

(That last is a 8Gb Flash drive, i think.)

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 973 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000ba2e1

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 973 7815591 7 HPFS/NTFS

I then ran GParted again, this time from the Mint menu and it tells me I have 698.64 Gb unallocated. NO partitions are shown.

I'm going to install PartedMagic and will let you know what happens.
dmhm

Post by dmhm »

Seeley sent:
seeley wrote: Some answers:
1. Several Linux distributions can share one swap (I once had 5 without any problem),
2. You don't need an own boot partition,
OK
seeley wrote:3. Partitioning from an own live medium is the best way;
Right, because it's independent of the disk being formatted.
seeley wrote:some facts: on a hd you can have 4 primary or 3 primary and 1 extended partition, which contains logical partitions as e.g. root, home, swap and Data (data exchange Windows -Linux). If you only have 1 primary partition, swap or Data ... could be primary too.
I will leave Win7 on hand for now and that requires 2 primary partitions (the Lenovo ThinkPad also has a hidden primary for system recuperation but the desktop we built ourselves and that leaves one more, since multiple linux versions can be installed in separate logical partitions, along with Apps and Data partitions. I also have OpenSuse installed on this hard drive but I'm not sure i need more than one OS as long as everything works).
seeley wrote:4. If you want to install a new Mint, you prepare the partitions with GParted live and as a second step, during installation from your Mint live medium, you don't choose ..alongside... or ...entire disk... but
specify partitions manually (advanced)
and allocate root -> mount point "/", home -> "/home", swap needs no mount point, Data -> "/media/Data".
seeley
I can do that but gparted is not recognizing viable partitions on this disk so I will have to use something else or install to the other disk, which I disconnected a few months ago.
(I am downloading PartedMagic 5.7 with SeaMonkey but it's going very slowly - a good linux downloader would help).

Can Grub handle a multiple boot installation to separate disks? (I assume so).

I need to know more about the installation (when I need to direct the installation to the additional partitions). Otherwise I'll wind up with everything in one partition again.

Thanks for the orientation. I can see that I'm going to have to do a separate installation of Julia. (And if and when a 64 bit version of LCDE comes out I may well try that also).

The Grub boot menu shows two separate versions of Mint. I'll have to be careful about which I eliminate, if i install to this disk.
lauren

Post by lauren »

Hi!
The situation is pretty complicated.
First suggestion: Before you install a Linux, unplug everything you don't need for the installation.
Second: Try to get and attach screenshots of GParted from PartedMagic; booting PM you can mount the parttion you write from and copy the screenshot to that partition.
lauren
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
If you have problems to see your partitions with GParted, then you must download the newest version of GP (0.7.0.4), check md5sum, burn an image (the same procedure burning a MInt live CD/DVD) and boot from GP live.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted ... e/0.7.0-4/
seeley

Return to “Installation & Boot”