Mint 10 hangs on 'Who are you"

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
polyjuice

Mint 10 hangs on 'Who are you"

Post by polyjuice »

Mint 10 installed without a single problem on my laptop which had Mint 9. I had configured a /home partition which saved all personal files created during my Mint 9 experience. It was beyond my expectations... Everything worked.

However, when I try to install Mint 10 on my desktop it proceeds without error until it gets to the 'Who are you' window. After copying all the files it never highlights the 'Forward' button. It hangs at that point. I am able to get to the menu and do a shut down, but now my Mint 9 system is also gone.

I am using the same cd as was used on my laptop.

Any suggestions???

carl
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: Mint 10 hangs on 'Who are you"

Post by mads »

Hi! :)

Are there any capital letters in your username? If yes, remove them and try again.
polyjuice

Post by polyjuice »

I did have caps in my name. I re-booted and removed the caps with no better results. It still hangs in the same spot.

thanks - carl
mads

Post by mads »

polyjuice wrote:I did have caps in my name. I re-booted and removed the caps with no better results. It still hangs in the same spot.
OK, but I wrote "username". :)
polyjuice

Post by polyjuice »

No caps used. Name - 'carl gerdes', computer name - 'carl-desktop', and username is 'carl'.
Same results. 'Who are you' window says - Ready when you are... But 'Forward' button is not highlighted.

thanks
mads

Post by mads »

polyjuice wrote:No caps used. Name - 'carl gerdes', computer name - 'carl-desktop', and username is 'carl'.
:) It is nothing wrong with Carl Gerdes. My original post said: "...capital letters in your username". And the correct answer
would be: No, there are not any capital letters in my username (carl). But lets forget about it. Hope someone else has a better idea.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Thew usual reason for hanging at that stage is characters outside of a-z in the username. It appears that you have a valid username, carl, so I don't know what is hanging the installation. Have you tried exiting, and rebooting from scratch from the liveCD, and re-entering your information?
RJAllbert

Post by RJAllbert »

mads wrote:Hi! :)

Are there any capital letters in your username? If yes, remove them and try again.
Thanks for this post. I was nearly tearing my hair out!!

I've had 5 hours now of trying to install one of the main Distros...

Richard

PS main problem is WLAN cuts out after 5mins or so, but I see there are some solutions for that!
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e »

I was having the same problem until I read this thread. I put in lowercase name, computer name, username, and the 'Forward' button became active. I don't remember this problem the first time I loaded Mint. I am having other problems, but more about that later, and on another thread.

Return to “Installation & Boot”