(Solved) One thing Windows can't do. Why can Mint do it?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ElectricRider

(Solved) One thing Windows can't do. Why can Mint do it?

Post by ElectricRider »

This is kind of an installation issue.

I have windows 7 on a partition by itself. i used the live Mint 9 KDE version CD to boot from cd into the live Mint, then i installed from there choosing option " Install along side of my other OS" I told it to resize my windows partition and make another partition for it to use to install to.

Here's the thing... I can access that win 7 partition from Mint. I can copy files from it.. for music video and other documents.. i do not have to copy them - i can just click on them to read or play them. I used it a few times so far even copying iso files.

What about this install allows me to do this? I asked in the Mint IRC channel and no one knew about it.

I did not use wubi or mint4win - or that it to say i didn't click on wubi or mint4win... I just booted up from the Cd and went into a live session before install.

Someone tell me how this works and why I am able to do this. Also, is it safe to try to write to this Win 7 partition too?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: One thing Windows can't do. Why can Mint do it?

Post by DataMan »

It's quite easy actually. In Mint (Linux), the operating system by default allows you to read / utilize data on most formatted partitions that are mounted. This has especially evolved in recent years with respect to reading ntfs formatted partitions commonly found in Windows. Windows on the other hand does not recognize the formats commonly used in Linux (most notably ext3 and ext4). So, when you are booted to the Live CD, it automatically mounts all of the available partitions on your hard drive. Using the file browser of your choice you just navigate to the desired directory structure for your file and double click on the file. If applications are linked to the file type, Mint will launch the associated application.

You are discovering that the simplicity of Mint (Linux) is very elegant compared to the Windows environment.

Hope this answers your question.

-DataMan
ElectricRider

Post by ElectricRider »

Thank you for the answer! That is very cool. Do you think I could at least write simple text files to the win 7 partition?

You say, " You are discovering that the simplicity of Mint (Linux) is very elegant compared to the Windows environment."

Actually I did find That cool.. otherwise i'm pulling my hair out with this thing. I do not understand its logic. I have installed a few repositories but they do not seem to be anyplace in the system that i can find.. or at least a way to execute them. I'll leave that for another thread - for now, i'll just keep reading.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Do you think I could at least write simple text files to the win 7 partition?
If the partition is mounted to allow "write", then yes you can insert whatever files you want to into the directory. Exercise care if you're "dinking" with some of the root folders within Windows.

-DataMan
ElectricRider

Post by ElectricRider »

Cool. it's not the root folders in Windows that scare me - I know those like the back of my hand from using Windows for over 10 years - it's the root folders in Mint that gives me nightmares. LOL

How do I check the permissions to see if the mounted partition is set to write? AFAIK I can't do this from windows because they don't know they are Mounted anywhere else externally - i assume I have to do this from Mint? Right clicking the icon does not take me to Properties for the drive like in windows.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Keeping it simple, just put together a small text file and try "dropping" it into the windows directory. If successful, you're good-to-go. I believe, by default the mounted partitions in the Mint LiveCd are write enabled.

-DataMan
ElectricRider

Post by ElectricRider »

Yep. it works. I was kinda leery to try it just in case... Awesome Thanks DataMan!

Return to “Installation & Boot”