invalid filesystem - ext4

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wa4chq

invalid filesystem - ext4

Post by wa4chq »

Hi-
My hard drive is partitioned with windows, zenwalk and mint9 flux. Mint was the last installed and I was able to boot into all three. I have been enjoying using Mint. Very nice. But, I decided to get rid of Zen and install Slackware 12.1 in its place..../dev/sda3 (mint is on /dev/sda4). Everything went fine with the Slack install until reboot time. Slack uses lilo and when I rebooted I saw windows, but only one linux....where was my other linux, Mint flux? I did
fdisk /dev/hda, p and saw that /dev/sda4 (slack labels it as /dev/hda4) was still there but when I tried to see if I could mount it, I get an error message saying "invalid filesystem ext4". And then thought I could use the Mint disk and boot to /dev/sda4 but I don't see any form of rescue mode. I tried knoppix and I can't even mount that partition. (Is file extention ext4 which was used when installing Mint new? Slack 12.1 is not so new and I seem to remember using ext3 all of the time.)

I guess Mint uses grub and maybe that is part of the problem. Anyway, I don't mind scrapping Slack (I have it installed on another HD) if there is no other way to fix it, but the main thing is I would like to save Mint if possible but don't know how to repair the boot loader, if that is the correct term.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: invalid filesystem - ext4

Post by oobetimer »

Boot using Super Grub2 Disk, and install Mint´s grub to the MBR and update grub

sudo blkid

...if the HD is sda

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

sudo os-prober

sudo update-grub

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/
wa4chq

Post by wa4chq »

Hey, that looks very promising. Thank you very much for the info!
wa4chq

Post by wa4chq »

I downloaded the SuperGrup2 image, burned it to a disk and was good to go in minutes. I haven't made any hard changes yet, but will.
Thanks again.

Return to “Installation & Boot”