Solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
burrina

Solved

Post by burrina »

I have mint and ubuntu installed right now.Can I install Jolicloud replacing ubuntu and have the choice of which os to boot on bootup?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mint and Jolicloud

Post by remoulder »

burrina wrote:Can I install Jolicloud replacing ubuntu and have the choice of which os to boot on bootup?
I don't see why not, Jolicloud appears to be based on ubuntu so should be grub compatible. All you should need to do is install and choose the ubuntu partition(s) to install to. Alternatively boot into mint, run gparted (if you installed it) and delete the ubuntu partition(s) then run sudo update-grub in a terminal to reset the boot options to just mint. You should then be able to boot the Jolicloud disc and install it choosing the empty space to install to. I haven't tried Jolicloud myself so not sure what install options are available.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
burrina

Re: Mint and Jolicloud

Post by burrina »

Thanks, excellent explanation.
Well,I spoke too soon,it said no partition after using gparted and updating grub.Must have done something wrong,I had to re-install Ubuntu to make Mint work.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Solved

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Sounds like you had Mint installed first then installed Ubuntu. If this was the case, Grub was installed with and controlled from the Ubuntu installation. Deleting Ubuntu destroyed Grub so running sudo update-grub in Mint would do no good. What you would have to do is follow this procedure

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... m%20LiveCD

Just insert Mint where ever it mentions Ubuntu.

Or you could just go ahead and install Jolicloud. It does use Grub and will pick up the presence of your Mint installation when it is installed.
burrina

Re: Solved

Post by burrina »

Yep, that's what I did! Thanks,

Return to “Installation & Boot”