bootable restore partition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LanceHaverkamp

bootable restore partition

Post by LanceHaverkamp »

Is there documentation about how to setup a bootable restore partition--similar to the way OEM Windows systems ship these days?

Thanks,
Lance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: bootable restore partition

Post by tdockery97 »

No, that is one of the differences between Linux and Windows. In Linux, the best way to be able to do a complete restore to an earlier point in time is to have a complete system backup such as a Remastersys live CD/DVD or a Clonezilla image of your system. Both of those programs will restore your system completely no matter how bad it is borked. I personally like Clonezilla because it backs up to an image much faster than Remastersys. If you download and burn Parted Magic to a CD it will run live, and runs entirely in RAM and includes Clonezilla. By running in RAM it frees your CD/DVD drive so you can use an image that was backed up and written to DVD. If you have another Linux partition on your HDD you can just have your image backed up to that partition. That's what I do. Restoring a system image back to your HDD with Clonezilla usually takes less than 10 minutes.

What method you use is entirely your choice. I'm sure others will post here with their preferred methods as well.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Installation & Boot”