Mint 10: Install issue (Preparing to install)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
krysti

Mint 10: Install issue (Preparing to install)

Post by krysti »

I get booted with the live DVD, and I get to the "Make sure your computer has 2.6GB free", "Make sure your computer is plugged into a power source (lol?)" and "Make sure you are connected to the Internet" screen.

Then I hit forward.. then nothing.

It spins and spins, no forwarding screen, rebooted too, tried DVD, CD has no luck booting up at all (screen goes black).

What I'm curious of is, either.. anyone know why this is happening? I checked my dmesg, /var/log stuff, seemingly not a single error is coming up. The system is still responsive, I can cancel the install, and repeat the above nothingness.

I'm aware my DVD drive might be a little cruddy, could be the problem. Alternatively is there another method of install I could try? It's a bit frustrating. I'm gonna try to burn another DVD ISO and just see if that one went wrong.. strangely I check the Integrity of the DVD (on boot menu), and it says nothing is wrong with it (well thanks). Apparently something IS wrong, and I cannot for the life of me find out why. Any help is appreciated. <3

I'm currently on Mint 9.. however I read dist-upgrade from apt-get can be troublesome.. so that's where I am here. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: Mint 10: Install issue (Preparing to install)

Post by seeley »

Hi!
1. Did you check md5sum after downloading - before burning?
2. Which program did you use to burn your medium? My jugdement based on experience: I prefer K3b - also available on Gnome - not Brasero.
3. It is possible to make a live USB (I tried it several times with 4 GB sticks with success).
seeley
ground21

Post by ground21 »

I've got similar problem (installations stucks on secodns screen 'preparing to install linux mint').

USB 4gb pendrive. MD5 of iso file (cd amd64 version) correct, check cd integrity finds no errors.

What is going on???
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi ground21!
It would be better to open a new thread because there are some differences.
1. Please do that and post the version of Mint (8, 9, 10 or LMDE?) and Desktop.
2. In addition you could post details of your hard disk.
3. You are familiar with the Terminal?
seeley
ground21

Post by ground21 »

seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi krysti!
If you please could explain, what you want:
Create a live USB?
Then I recommend PartedMagic (see link below) / UNetbootin - I tried it several times with success; btw. PM has many useful tools.
seeley
ground21

Post by ground21 »

Yes, I want to have live USB. In my case unetbootin was working OK but OK I'll give a shot for parted magic. How to create live usb with parted magic? I don't see the logic here - burn parted magic just to create bootable usb? I would rather avoid burning cds.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
PM is an operating system, you can access the Net and all files of all drives, burn CD/DVDs, and you have many useful tools as GParted, TestDisk,... and UNetbootin.
With UNetbootin you can create live USB; GParted is the latest version, on live Mint you often have an old one - with problems.
seeley
ground21

Post by ground21 »

OK but now my problem is installing mint (installer stucks at 2nd screen) not creating partitions or anything else.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
With GParted on PM you can edit partitions (delete, resize, create,..). So you can prepare partitions and use these partitions during installation - that's the best way, because after partitioning you can ask, if it would be okay and change if necessary. And If you don't apply and then undo no changes will be written to disk.
seeley

Return to “Installation & Boot”