Screen goes blank after Mint Linux logo...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrRoberts

Screen goes blank after Mint Linux logo...

Post by MrRoberts »

Hi all,

I have an old 15.4" laptop with PIII 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM and 80GB Hard Drive. The graphic is Intel 82830 CGC

When I attempted to install Mint Linux 10, it showed the Mint Linux logo with the scrolling dots underneath and then it goes blank. There is nothing after that, no sound or using the Ctrl, Alt + F1 or Ctrl, Shift + F1

When I used Compatibility Mode, it will start up in text mode. I did access xorg.conf via sudo pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf and this is what came up

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Mint Linux 9 XCFE, Peppermint Linux, and Debian XCFE does work, but not Mint Linux 10. Why? Same thing happened with Ubuntu 10.10.

Is there any ways of lower the refresh rate or resolution BEFORE install Mint Linux during the menu setup?

Any help please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrRoberts

Re: Screen goes blank after Mint Linux logo...

Post by MrRoberts »

78 views and no help?

Did some research and found my own solution to the problem

There is no Intel 82830 CGC driver support in Ubuntu or Mint version 10 and the workaround is quite simple.

1. Simply, boot from Xubuntu, Ubuntu or Mint CD and press the shift key until the grub menu appears
2. Press F6 and then, press ESC
3. Press the cursor key (up, down, left or right) and insert this command right after the 'quiet splash'. Make it look like this quiet splash acpi=no i915.modeset=0 nomodeset
4. Start install Xubuntu, Ubuntu or Mint 10
5. After install, remove CD and reboot
6. As soon as the computer bootup, press the shift key to get back into the grub menu
7. This time, press 'e' and scroll down. Stop after the 'quiet splash' statement. Make it look like this quiet splash acpi=no i915.modeset=0 nomodeset
8. Press Ctrl X
9. Once login, fire up the terminal and do this sudo mousepad /etc/default/grub
10. Make it look like this GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=no i915.modeset=0 nomodeset"
11. Save it and update the grub configuration by doing this sudo update-grub
12. Close terminal and you are done. The reason to configure the grub file is to make it permanent so you don't have to reinsert the command everytime you boot up the computer.

Return to “Installation & Boot”