Win 7 & Linux dual booting to different hdd

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marron

Win 7 & Linux dual booting to different hdd

Post by marron »

I am a newbie to linux Mint but like the look of the os. I do, however need to be able to dual boot to either Windows 7 or linux mint. I installed the os as I have previously done with other distros but this time I couldn't get the computer to boot into windows. It automatically booted to Linux mint & that isn't what I need. I installed the os on a different HDD & I am assuming this may have been the problem. Is there any way I can get the option to boot to either os when I start my computer. Running windows under linux simply isn't an option. I have too much data on my win OS to risk losing it or not being able to boot to it at startup. Any help you can give will be very gratefully received.

Regards

Garry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nukm

Re: Win 7 & Linux dual booting to different hdd

Post by nukm »

You can read up here -http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/index.html

The ubuntu forum also has a Grub2 Wiki that is valuable.

Since you provide no details, I won't venture a guess as to why Grub hasn't picked up the Win OS install. May be very simple - or not. Sometimes, Grub2 doesn't pick up all installed OSs. Normally, it does.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Win 7 & Linux dual booting to different hdd

Post by Roken »

I'm not sure how you have your hard drives set up, but the way I do it is to ensure that the drive with Linux on is first in the boot order, then install linux and grub to that HD. grub should autodetect the Windows installation giving the option at boot up.

The advantage of doing it this way is the Windows MBR is never altered, which means if grub ever decides to break down, a quick trip to the BIOS to change boot order will allow me to boot Windows normally without grub.

Steve
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM

Return to “Installation & Boot”