no available hard disk

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

no available hard disk

Postby mrucci on Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:29 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for reading.

I have a dual boot system that uses 2 hard drives.

the main hard drive is the one that came with this computer, and i have vista installed on it. the other is an internal i installed, and that has mint celena.

I have it set up so the mint boot loader comes on and i can pick mint (various options) and vista. After the timer is done it boots mint. this works perfectly.
until now.

no changes have been made since i set my system up with way, and i have used my dual boot mint/vista machine pleasantly, with no complaints, making sure i update with mintupdate at least once a day, but for some reason yesterday when I had turned my computer on, and the motherboard splash went (the f2, f12 options) it didnt bring up grub, instead it says

"no boot device available"

hmm.. so i restart. same thing..

try again, but this time when the mobo splash is up i decide to press the F key for boot options. that worked, so i selected to boot hard disk, and that brought me to the grub screen.

can someone tell me, please, why grub doesnt automatically occur, and i need to press F12 to get to it, instead of no boot disk available
mrucci
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:59 pm

maybe it was just some hardware issue, a once off.

has it happened again?

the error message is one given by the bios when it can not find any boot devices. eg no hard disks found to boot off, on cd/dvd, no floppy, no usb device, no NIC...

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby mrucci on Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:39 pm

tried the off/on method. negative on that.
i know that the msg comes from the bios, which is why it puzzles me.
Usually starts with out a pause, but now it says 'no boot device available'
when there certainly is and it saw them 12 hours before hand.
mrucci
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:08 pm

This is a hardware problem.
The cables could be bad or loose.
If you have Sata the power cable normally gets loose pretty easily.
The worse thing that it could be is the controller on the motherboard is bad.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby mrucci on Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:53 pm

when i turn the computer on, and i have the mobo splash, and have the options, for a breif moment, to press f2 for setup and f12 for boot options.

if i just let the computer do its thing, it says no boot device but if i choose the boot options in the very beginning, i go down the right path.

how can that be a hardware problem. the drive is accessible, but in a very peculiar and annoying way, were i need to press f12 everytime i boot my machine, instead of the proper fashion.

i dont like having to press f12 everytime i turn this thing on to see the boot screen to choose which mint i want or windows for my parents.

i dont see how this could be a hardware issue. please enlighten me if it somehow is. thanks.
mrucci
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nick on Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:46 am

Hi

What is the order of the boot devices in your bios?

i.e. First boot device etc.

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby merlwiz79 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:40 am

mrucci wrote:when i turn the computer on, and i have the mobo splash, and have the options, for a breif moment, to press f2 for setup and f12 for boot options.

if i just let the computer do its thing, it says no boot device but if i choose the boot options in the very beginning, i go down the right path.

how can that be a hardware problem. the drive is accessible, but in a very peculiar and annoying way, were i need to press f12 everytime i boot my machine, instead of the proper fashion.

i dont like having to press f12 everytime i turn this thing on to see the boot screen to choose which mint i want or windows for my parents.

i dont see how this could be a hardware issue. please enlighten me if it somehow is. thanks.
Ok I read the "no boot device available"
and thought you had a hardware problem.
I read the rest and it sounds like you just need to change the boot order in the BIOS, to boot off the correct hard drive.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot