No Desktop (X) after Install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

No Desktop (X) after Install

Postby jotinha on Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:22 pm

Live-CD pretty well, really, but... can't install it in my system... WinXP & some other Distros (opensuse, mepis, kanotix) run without problems, more or less, so I just wanted to try Mint, because I like it... but I get no desktop (X) after installation... I've already tried everything, no solution at all!
Any help, please?
Athlon 64 3200+, 1024 RAM, 2 IDE-HD (hda: WinXP), NVIDIA MSI-NX6200AX-TD256, SynMaster740BF (1280x1024@75), DSL, DVD etc.

I'm very very sorry, I've just tried to install it now for 2-3 times, it's no way at all. Install crashes again and again (gparted!!!, I want to do the partition myself), I once got it, I let gparted do it, but then... it didn't work, the desktop didn't appear.
I think it's time to say good-bye and try another distro. Sorry.
jotinha
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby hairy_Palms on Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:46 am

when it boots you can trying pressing ctrl-alt+f3 to go to a command line then login and type sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to sort it out
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Postby rlozano on Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:40 am

im sure you have not exhausted all the possible solutions at your disposal.

we can help you better if you can post any error message that appears when you boot your system to Mint. is it directly going to terminal w/o any error message?

once you boot and you go to terminal, if you type startx, do you get any error?

normally, problems like this is related to video card and your display. please check too if your nvdia card is supported in the nvdia binary drivers included in mint. if not, you might have to install another nvidia driver for that. for more information on this one, maybe this site can give you additional information. http://www.albertomilone.com.

let us know what happens...

hope this helps...
rlozano
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Installation & Boot