LMDE installation fail on bootloader install.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Revan

LMDE installation fail on bootloader install.

Post by Revan »

Hi I want to try LMDE but when I try to install, the installation is stuck in the bootloader configuration, and chose all partitions (including the windows, which screwed up the boot and it took me several hours fixing) and installation does not go over that stage.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: LMDE installation fail on bootloader install.

Post by willie42 »

I got mine working by installing without the boot loader. I dont know how your setup is so I cant tell you the best way to proceed but you can install the boot loader after

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install grub
hope this helps
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LMDE installation fail on bootloader install.

Post by Fornhamfred »

You may or may not be aware that there is a new iso to download which hopefully has resolved this problem. If not my method, which is probably not the best, was to install LMDE but when asked where to put the grub do not install it. The iso will then complete the installation. At this point you need to install grub. I then loaded one of my other Mint live cds (10) and installed it to another partition. Upon competion you have grub installed and hopefully showing your new LMDE installation. If so you can boot into LMDE. Once in from a terminal do the following;

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub
sudo update=initramfs -u

Restart your system and it should boot into LMDE

Alternatively you could look at this very useful how-to from Seeley http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=63013

Hope this helps

Return to “Installation & Boot”