Installation of Mint Debian on Vmware

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jfontana

Installation of Mint Debian on Vmware

Post by jfontana »

I'm having problems installing Mint Debian on a Vmware virtual machine. Everything in the installation seemed to go well. But when I start the session in VMware it always asks me for the live CD that I used for the installation. If the live CD is not in the disk drive, I get an error message saying "No bootable device was detected. A bootable device might be a CD, floppy, hard disk, or network device, as when booting with PXE. To install an operating system, insert a bootable CD or floppy and restart the virtual machine. Operating system not found"

Does anybody know what could be happening? Has anybody installed Linux Mint successfully in a virtual machine? Are there any step by step instructions that I could use?

JM
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installation of Mint Debian on Vmware

Post by rivenathos »

If you are trying to install the LMDE 201012 version (especially the 32-bit version), you need to read http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1610 before doing anything else. The most recent info starts about post #30.

There are already several discussions about this in the LMDE section of the forum, so you probably need to look over there for some more info, as well.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
jfontana

Post by jfontana »

Hi rivenathos,

Thanks for the answer. I followed the link you posted and I'm a little confused. Many of the posters kept referring to the 201101 release (which must be a more recent release than the one I have but I just downloaded it yesterday!). The other thing is I didn't see much that seemed relevant for my problem. I forgot to say the version I'm trying to install via Vmware is 'linuxmint-debian-201012-gnome-dvd-amd64.iso'.

From what I can see all Vmware seems to be able to do is to install the live disc launcher. During the Vmware installation I clicked on the install script that appears on the Mint desktop and went through the whole installation process. With Ubuntu that had worked and when I launched the virtual machine it didn't request the live cd again. With the Mint Debian installation, however, when I launch the Mint virtual machine in Vmware it is as if Mint has not been installed. As I said in my first post, I get the message "Noo bootable device was detected....". I did a search for "virtual machine" or "vmware" and browsed through the different messages but I wasn't able to find anything that could help me figure out what my problem is. I also googled for Mint and virtual machines and I didn't find anything that was helpful. I'm dying to try Mint Debian because I've heard that it is lean and fast but I have a Mac and I have to use a virtuall machine to install it. As I said, I have had no problems installing Ubuntu.

JM
jfontana

Post by jfontana »

I think I know what is happening. This is very stupid but I had not realized this while I was installing Mint.

I think for other distros, once you insert the CD you get a menu that asks you whether you want to install the SO or you want to run the Live CD. With the Mint Debian distribution you don't get this option. You go straight to the Live CD mode and from there you can proceed with the installation. This doesn't seem to work well for a Virtual Machine installation. Is it possible to get a non live CD installation file for Linux Mint Debian? Can anybody who has successfully installed Linux Mint Debian on a virtual machine tell me how they've done it? Thanks.

JM

Return to “Installation & Boot”