install login loop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stesul411

install login loop

Post by stesul411 »

new to Mint but not new to linux, been using ubuntu 10 for about 6 months. I replaced ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop with mint 10 using a sd card and all went well, and I'm really liking Mint over ubuntu. Now the problem is installing to my desktop using the same method. Mint live starts, but instead of offering me the option to install to HD or run from live disc I get a login screen. Both laptop and desktop were running single boot ubuntu 10.10. The laptop is a Dell Latitude D610 with 2 gig memory and a Celluron processor. The desktop was built by me 5 or 6 years ago, 1gig memory with a AMD Sempron processor.

Also I've tried installing 3 different versions (DVD,CD and OEM) multiple times, downloading from different sources.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: install login loop

Post by seeley »

Hi!
1. "OEM" is not the right choice.
2. Did you check md5sum after downloading?
3. I always burn CDs and DVDs with K3B (it's available for KDE and Gnome - I tried both and never had problems).
Which program did you use?
seeley
stesul411

Post by stesul411 »

Yah, I figured OEM wasn't the way to go but I tried it anyway, I have to install from SD onto the desktop as it doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, it's an old box I use in the garage.

I used the built in start up disc creator and when that didn't work I used Unetbootin, I did not check the md5sum. I will check it.
I'll have to find K3B and give it a try.

I'll report back later.

Thanks,
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
K3B is a burning program - only to burn CDs and DVDs.
I'm using PartedMagic 5.8/ UNetbootin on live USB to create live USB Linux (except openSUSE) with success.
PM has many other useful tools (GParted - latest version 0.7.1, TestDisk,...)
seeley
stesul411

Post by stesul411 »

OK I'm stumped, downloaded Mint10 cd from a different source, m5d, checks out, burned to SD with UNetbootin, ran UNet in default, Start Linux, Start in compatibility mode, ect. Checked the HD with Parted Magic, and I still get a login screen running from the live SD.

I wondering if it's something with the older AMD Semperon processor.
stesul411

Post by stesul411 »

OK, I give up, nothing is working, I even put a CD drive from another computer in it and I still get a log in screen from the live CD/SD. Both CD and SD load correctly in my laptop, my sons laptop, work laptop and my windows box.

When live starts I'm now getting this message:
vesamenu.c32: not a COM32 image.

HELP please

Return to “Installation & Boot”