LMDE_64 Installation Can't Find any Partitions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dmhm

LMDE_64 Installation Can't Find any Partitions

Post by dmhm »

I intend to install the 64 bit version of LMDE_but the installation program (that opens after clicking on the "Install Linux Mint" icon on the Desktop) can't find any partitions when it asks me where I want to install Linux Mint. If I select Edit Partitions GParted opens and I indicate the partition that I want to install to, but the Installation Program won't pick it up (even though I refreshed it repeatly).

I 'm running Mint 9 and had no problem installing it. I noticed that the version of GParted that opens is not the most recent (available from SourceForge - the version the Software Manager and Synoptics offers is not the latest version either). So I downloaded the tar.bz2 file but don't know what I need to use to install it. I also downloaded the KDE PartionManager but the problem is in the Installation Application, because both KPM & GParted recognize the Partition (the ONLY partition on a second hard drive).

The computer has a Gigabyte X58 MB w/ an i7 CPU and 8 Gb RAM and I am using the LMDE 64 live Disk at the moment.

Any ideas? TIA.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: LMDE_64 Installation Can't Find any Partitions

Post by wayne128 »

Take a look at the partition of the hard disk to see if there is some error.

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
dmhm

Post by dmhm »

The second 700 Gb hard disk has a brand new 10 Gb Ext4 partition that I just made with Gparted after wiping the disk and creating a new Partition Directory so I could start fresh.
dmhm

Post by dmhm »

I now see that there are some overlapping partitions on Disk 0. I could disconnect it and install to disk 1 but the rest of the OS's are on Disk 0 so how is the Grub going to present me with an accurate list of OS's when I connect it back up later?

I'd have to edit the Grub or install another boot manager afterward.

Return to “Installation & Boot”