LM10 freezes during boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JackSpade

LM10 freezes during boot

Post by JackSpade »

I've been using *nix for a while now but have never had the 'pleasure' of trying to install it. Having just purchased a shiny new netbook with a crappy OS (Win7) my first goal was to replace that with Linux Mint. However before I do I want to run a live CD/USB to make sure everything works properly.

My netbook is a Lenovo S10-3. I'd read that LM10 "just worked" on these. That is not at all my experience.

As there is no CD drive laying around I had to make a live USB. Unetbootin was a complete failure - I couldn't get anywhere with that. I then tried the program from Pendrivelinux.com and that seemed to work quite well. I have what I believe to be a proper USB-Live-CD for LM10 (32-bit gnome).

When I start up and press F12 (the lenovo boot option key) I can select to boot from the USB drive. This brings up the Linux mint boot menu with 4 options including Boot Linux Mint, Boot Linux Mint (Compatibility Mode), and a memory test and a fourth option (boot from HD?). I've tried each of the first two options several times and I never get anywhere. I'm left staring at a grey screen with a flashing cursor at the upper left.

I've tried to find hints and solutions online but so far nothing has worked. I removed the "quiet splash" from the boot options. With those options removed I can see a couple screens worth of steps that are progressing successfully until it freezes just after:

[ 6.790655] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810

The cursor remains frozen on the next (empty) line.

I am a pretty effective linux *user* though I am at a complete loss for what this means. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: LM10 freezes during boot

Post by seeley »

Hi JackSpade!
1. After downloading mint.iso: did you check md5sum?
2. You can access the NET with your W7 I suppose.
seeley
JackSpade

Post by JackSpade »

Thanks for the reply Seely,

Yes I checked the MD5 and it matched the listing on the LM download page.

I can get online through Win7 on the netbook, but I'm also on my desktop (mac OS X for now - until Netflix plays on linux).

I am still interested in figuring this out - but last night I decided to try crunchbang, another distro I've always liked. It worked perfectly the first time. The only hitch was the suspend/hibernate didn't work right away, but it was just the power management settings needed to be switched on (duh) and now that works flawlessly as well.

I'll keep an eye on Mint and try it out again if I learn anything about this issue - but for now I'll be using #!.

Thanks again.
lubo

Post by lubo »

Hi there!
My Lenovo S10-3 works perfectly with Isadora gnome since summer ( had to force maverick rc kernel in order to get 3g working ) I wanted to upgrade to 10 and ran into exactly the same issue. Not only LM10 Gnome, but also KDE rc fails to boot. The last step listed as performed has to do with SATA controller (gnome comes to drm). After this it hangs forever

And yes, I checked md5sums, and also used multiple different usb stick to exclude failure of the usb stick

Any clue how to move forward?

Thanx in advance

Return to “Installation & Boot”