Black Screen, Intel 830 Graphics on Linux Mint 10 (201101)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pickgrand

Black Screen, Intel 830 Graphics on Linux Mint 10 (201101)

Post by pickgrand »

I downloaded 201101 I am still having the black screen issue on this release.
I have an intel 82830 graphics chip.
I have tried xforcevesa and nomodeset.
any help would be great.
Any help would be great.
Laptop is a Dell Latitude C400 with 1gb ram.

i915.modeset=0 This option give me a blinking cursor in the top left corner.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Black Screen, Intel 830 Graphics on Linux Mint 10 (20110

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
pickgrand

Post by pickgrand »

Thanks I am using the re-spin version and I still have this issue. I downloaded a new dvd from the blog link's
pickgrand

Post by pickgrand »

I did some more testing last night. The only thing I can do is get to a $ prompt using the (201012) DVD. Once I get there I type startx.
I get "Screens Found, but non compatible" or something like that
So items on the net say to edit the Xorg.conf file. But I cannot edit it becuase it's all running on the live CD and is not editable. I cannot boot to usb with these laptops. I have 5 of them that Was planning to install linux mint on. I would rather not have to find another distro because I have been really happy with this one.
Linux Mint 8 works just fine with no issues.

Please help
spandey

Post by spandey »

If Linux mint 8 was working than why not try Linux Mint 10 (julia) which is ubuntu based? Also, C400 is VGA=773?
pickgrand

Post by pickgrand »

I guess I am not sure what you mean by Julia? I though that is what I downloaded. Also I think your right about VGA=773 but don't know where to put that in the boot line. Thanks for the help
spandey

Post by spandey »

Hi,
Please have a proper look at the main page. There are various options like Linux Mint Debian, Linux Mint 10, Mint 9 Fluxbox, Mint 9 Xfce, Mint 9 KDE. From here select Linux Mint 10 and download. Linux Mint 10 was release in October 10. Hope this helps.
pickgrand

Post by pickgrand »

I have done that. The 32-bit DVD. I have also downloaded the 201101 respin that is suppose to fix this issue but DOES NOT for these machines.
Thanks,
Matt

Return to “Installation & Boot”