usb install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cristobal

usb install

Post by cristobal »

I don't have an optical drive on my desktop box and want install LMDE. Unetbootin doesn't work for me. I don't know why, but I have never been able to create a bootable usb stick. I have the boot flag set, but it never works. The method that works best for me is:

Code: Select all

dd if=linuxmint-debian-201012-gnome-dvd-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

However this has only been successful with Aptosid and Crunchbang. Unfortunately it doesn't work for Linux Mint Debian.
I tried installing Startup Disk Creator. It doesn't open the LMDE iso image. Then I tried installing it on another computer with a DVD drive running LMDE. Startup Disk Creator open the DVD drive but fails with an unexpected error every time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: usb install

Post by willie42 »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=61390

try this one Aging technogeek says this one works great and has used it.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

cristobal wrote:I don't have an optical drive on my desktop box and want install LMDE. Unetbootin doesn't work for me. I don't know why, but I have never been able to create a bootable usb stick. I have the boot flag set, but it never works. The method that works best for me is:

However this has only been successful with Aptosid and Crunchbang. Unfortunately it doesn't work for Linux Mint Debian.
I tried installing Startup Disk Creator. It doesn't open the LMDE iso image. Then I tried installing it on another computer with a DVD drive running LMDE. Startup Disk Creator open the DVD drive but fails with an unexpected error every time.

Well, unetbootin worked for me on many installation such as Mint and LMDE, ubuntu and most ubuntu's derivative, most slackware derivative, and many more Linux OSes.
The only care I need is it worked well on FAT32 format and standard geometry of 255heads/63sectors

When you used dd command for crunchbang, I believe it will write to the USB stick with ext format. After that you may have some geometry that is unusual.

If you want to find out more on your USB stick, just do a sudo fdisk -l and post what fdisk said about USB stick geometry and partition details.
cristobal

Post by cristobal »

wayne128 wrote:
cristobal wrote:I don't have an optical drive on my desktop box and want install LMDE. Unetbootin doesn't work for me. I don't know why, but I have never been able to create a bootable usb stick. I have the boot flag set, but it never works. The method that works best for me is:

Well, unetbootin worked for me on many installation such as Mint and LMDE, ubuntu and most ubuntu's derivative, most slackware derivative, and many more Linux OSes.
The only care I need is it worked well on FAT32 format and standard geometry of 255heads/63sectors

When you used dd command for crunchbang, I believe it will write to the USB stick with ext format. After that you may have some geometry that is unusual.

If you want to find out more on your USB stick, just do a sudo fdisk -l and post what fdisk said about USB stick geometry and partition details.
Thanks for the encouragement, listing your unetbootin successes. I read on the linux questions forum that it wouldn't work for someone until he formatted his usb stick with ext3. I tried that too, didn't work, different error though. Normally I format the stick with FAT32 after using the "dd" command which renders the stick unmountable, since there is then, no format.
spandey

Post by spandey »

Try Unetbootin from a windows system and it will work fine.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Thanks for the encouragement, listing your unetbootin successes. I read on the linux questions forum that it wouldn't work for someone until he formatted his usb stick with ext3. I tried that too, didn't work, different error though. Normally I format the stick with FAT32 after using the "dd" command which renders the stick unmountable, since there is then, no format.
That was what I did and found also.
My USB stick geometry was changed and become not suitable for use with unetbootin

so I used fdisk to return my geometry to 255heads/63sectors, then it is as if the USB stick is a new buy and it worked well with unetbootin with FAT32 format.
cristobal

Post by cristobal »

spandey wrote:Try Unetbootin from a windows system and it will work fine.
I don't to have access to a windoz system. I'm retired and my friends and relatives all use nix.
cristobal

Post by cristobal »

wayne128 wrote:
That was what I did and found also.
My USB stick geometry was changed and become not suitable for use with unetbootin

so I used fdisk to return my geometry to 255heads/63sectors, then it is as if the USB stick is a new buy and it worked well with unetbootin with FAT32 format.
This is after creating a partition table with gparted, the same way I always do after using the "dd" command then reformatting to try unetbootiin. Notice the number of Heads and Sectors.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

cristobal

Post by cristobal »

usbtux wrote:Try this http://runninglinux.weebly.com. HTH
Was this link supposed to help me install Mint from a usb stick?

I can't tell if the author ever succeeded.

I ended up adding the LMDE repos along with Debian Multimedia repos to my Crunchbang install. Seems to work as well as the LMDE I installed from a DVD on my daughter's machine.
cristobal

Post by cristobal »

This works for non-hybrid.iso images, like LMDE:
http://salinelinux.proboards.com/index. ... &thread=24

Edit The above links method only works for images with a syslinux signature which LMDE's image doesn't have.

Return to “Installation & Boot”