Mint install over a kubuntu on a multiboot system

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
francois.e

Mint install over a kubuntu on a multiboot system

Post by francois.e »

I am presently driving the linux mint 10, Julia, as a virtualbox guest. I could say that I am really impressed. I am eager to install the os on my boxes.

This might be a silly question.

I have many partitions with one window partition, and many linux install. Actually, they are all managed thru grub 1 (and not grub 2). i am ready to change the menu.lst to accomodate Mint?

Is it possible to install mint to erase a kubuntu install, without affecting the grub 1 install (that is without getting with grub 2)? What would be the syntax to call mint in the menu.lst?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Mint install over a kubuntu on a multiboot system

Post by wayne128 »

francois.e wrote:I am presently driving the linux mint 10, Julia, as a virtualbox guest. I could say that I am really impressed. I am eager to install the os on my boxes.

This might be a silly question.

I have many partitions with one window partition, and many linux install. Actually, they are all managed thru grub 1 (and not grub 2). i am ready to change the menu.lst to accomodate Mint?

Is it possible to install mint to erase a kubuntu install, without affecting the grub 1 install? What would be the syntax to call mint in the menu.lst?
Since you have grub 1, then, when you install Mint10 or LMDE, you should instruct the installer NOT to write on MBR
instead, write to the partition that you are installing Mint10 or LMDE.
See this link, first link inside, there is a open office impress document, see the page 13, when you reach this page, select or be sure the boot loader is checked, and below you must select to sdxy that reflect your partition of Mint10/LMDE.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63363

If you do this way , then the mint/lmde partition will become chainloadable.
Now go back to your /boot/grub/menu.lst, amend by adding this grub stanza to boot mint/lmde, as you already knew the convention, I just illustrate on my /dev/sda20, you change the root as per your actual partition
title Mint10-64 chainload on sda20
root (hd0,19)
chainloader +1
francois.e

Re: Mint install over a kubuntu on a multiboot system

Post by francois.e »

Thanks Wayne. This is really an honest proposition. I will try it for sure.

Return to “Installation & Boot”