Annoying Little Problem [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mistamule

Annoying Little Problem [SOLVED]

Post by mistamule »

Hi All,

This annoying little problem appeared over the week-end probably after checking ans installing updates.

I'm running LM10 from a USM memory stick onto a Toshiba laptop. I have 3 Windows drives named Vista, Data1 and Data2.
This morning when I booted LM10 done of my (few) scripts worked saying drive not found. I checked to make sure the drives were mounted (which they were) but Data1 had been named by the system as Data1_ (with one underscore as a suffix). I umounted it and and tried again and it mounted with the name Data1__ (with 2 underscores). Guess what it was named on the third attempt? Yes, Data1___ (3 underscores).
I know I can get around this with some aliases but a more elegant solution would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BTW I think LM is great.

Regards, MistaMule
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
abercrombieande

Re: Annoying Little Problem

Post by abercrombieande »

Please post the output from

Code: Select all

cat /etc/fstab 
mistamule

Post by mistamule »

Hi,

Here's o/p from /etc/fstab

aufs / aufs rw 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nosuid,nodev 0 0

Regards,

MistaMule
abercrombieande

How are you mounting and unmounting these drives?
mistamule

Post by mistamule »

Hi,
I click on "Computer" on desktop, and right click on the drive name and select "mount".
Selected drive appears on desktop. Right clicking on icon and selecting "properties" shows name as "Data1" . But if I open up a terminal and cd to /media it is mounted as "Data1_".

To unmount I right click on drive icon and select "umount"
abercrombieande

You can manually mount them if the know there location in /dev. Where ? is their name. Use mkdir to create Vista,Data1,Data2

mount /dev/? /media/Vista 

mount /dev/? /media/Data1 [/code
[code]mount /dev/? /media/Data2 [/code
mistamule

Post by mistamule »

Hi,

I guess that I was just being lazy using right-click in "Computer".

Back to using good old-fashioned command line stuff!

Thanks for your help.

Bye, bye.

MistaMule
abercrombieande

If you add the mounts to /etc/fstab you can set them to automount
mistamule

Post by mistamule »

Tried editting /etc/fstab but it didn't work.

It seems that fstab is rebuilt at boot time

mint@mint /media $ ls -la /etc/fstab
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 53 2011-01-11 15:35 /etc/fstab
abercrombieande

Are you sure that isn't the last time you edited the file? I never heard of it getting auto rebuilt. Here is the output from mine

$ ls -la /etc/fstab 
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 756 2010-10-01 08:45 /etc/fstab
mistamule

Post by mistamule »

I've just logged off and rebooted.
here's ls -la /etc/fstab
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 53 2011-01-11 16:03 /etc/fstab
abercrombieande

mistamule wrote:I've just logged off and rebooted.
here's ls -la /etc/fstab
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 53 2011-01-11 16:03 /etc/fstab

Is pysdm or some other device manager installed? You might be able to do a search using grep for /etc/fstab and so where its referenced
mistamule

Post by mistamule »

Hi abercrombieande,

I don't have pysdm or any other device manager loaded as far as I know. The only software I've added (apart from the ones given in Update Manager) are a few Perl Modules and Truecrypt.

As I said at the top I'm running LM10 from an 8Gb USB memory stick with a 4GB persistence file.
I'm guessing the problem with editting /etc/fstab is due to the fact that any edits are not written to the persistence file as it (/etc/fstab) appears to be remade every time I boot up LM10.
The problem with the added underscores is a mystery but something I can live with/get around.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
I'll close this out in a few days.
Regards,
MistaMule
abercrombieande

when these show up with the underscore can you look in /media to see if the non underscore names exists. I am guessing they do that is why the underscore is added.
mistamule

Re: Annoying Little Problem [SOLVED]

Post by mistamule »

I'm now using an alias to mount my Data1, Data2 and Vista drives so this gets around the underscore problem. But when I plug in my USB external hard drive successive underscores get added even though the drive name exists. So I now get USB, USB_, USB__, etc. Again, I can get around this simple by rmdir before I plug in the external drive and I get the dive mounted in /media/USB.

Return to “Installation & Boot”