Start up disc creator and Universal USB Installer!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wiggy25

Start up disc creator and Universal USB Installer!

Post by wiggy25 »

Just a question about why these two don't appear to work.

I've tried the start up disc creator in Mint with a brand new formatted USB stick and it won't work, just doesn't load, well actually I have to enter the boot menu on my PC and select USB HDD0.
I don't get the choice of HDD0 when I create the live USB via the start-up disc creator, only shows USB ZIP, which doesn't work.

So I tried USB installer from windows and I enter the boot menu on my PC select HDD0 (yes it appears as USB HDD0 when done using the USB installer) the Linux Mint splash screen appears then it just sits there for an eternity doing nothing.

The only way I have got this to work is by using UNetbootin from Windows, won't work from Mint, so I have got round the issue, just being curious as to why does the start-up disc creator NOT work in Mint but it works fine in Ubuntu?

Cheers

Ian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Start up disc creator and Universal USB Installer!

Post by oobetimer »

wiggy25 wrote: The only way I have got this to work is by using UNetbootin from Windows, won't work from Mint, so I have got round the issue, just being curious as to why does the start-up disc creator NOT work in Mint but it works fine in Ubuntu?

Cheers

Ian
I´m not agree .. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKaBtd4HL-0
wiggy25

Re: Start up disc creator and Universal USB Installer!

Post by wiggy25 »

Well I've tried it and it doesn't work.

I've used Gparted to format the USB stick, the USB disc creator goes along and completes no problem, but when I reboot my PC and press ESC to enter the boot menu , it just shows up as a USB-ZIP flash drive, If I select this it will not boot, just comes up as boot error.

If I use UNetbootin in windows, when I reboot the PC and then press ESC to enter boot menu it is the only one that shows up as hard drive USB-HDD0 and will continue to boot up to LInux MInt splash screen, then do nothing.

I will try it on my works laptop and see what happens, it could just be my PC.

Very strange though as when I created the LIVE USB from my works laptop running Vista using UNetbootin I plugged that into my desktop and it all worked, showed the UNetbootin loader page, selected LInux MInt and away it went.

At last!! took 3 or 4 goes but used UNetbootin on windows Vista to create the bootable USB drive.
So now when I leave the USB in the PC and boot up, press ESC to enter boot menu it shows USB HDD0, I can select that and it will continue to the UNetBootin loader page, where I can select load Linux Mint.

Nothing else will work to create a bootable USB stick though, so it's sort of solved; more of a work round.

Cheers

Ian

Return to “Installation & Boot”