SOFT LOCKUP DETECTED ON CPU#0

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

SOFT LOCKUP DETECTED ON CPU#0

Postby mover47 on Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:16 am

Hello,

I'm a noob trying to run the liveCD to install Linux Mint. I get a problem right after it starts to boot up. If I choose Start Linux Mint, then the little loading bar bounces back and forth, then freezes, and nothing more happens.

If I remove quiet and splash via options, it starts to boot until I get this message: SOFT LOCKUP DETECTED ON CPU#0

I looked for info on other boards, including Ubuntu boards, but I found nothing about this problem occurring when booting from the live cd. Also, this cd booted fine on another machine (but I don't want to install it there) and I have XP and Fedora Core 6 installed on other partitions on the machine in question. No problems with them. As expected, trying to install Ubuntu 6.10 on this machine results in the same message.

Any ideas how to get around this?

I'm sorry, but I don't know what info you need about my system.

Thanks
mover47
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby scorp123 on Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:20 am

Sounds like you got a defective CPU? What CPU is it anyway?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby mover47 on Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:33 am

Thanks for the reply.

It's a Celeron (R) 1.70GHz. I don't think that's the problem: I don't have any problems with the other OSs.
mover47
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Josh on Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:48 am

I had this same thing happen on one of my laptops when booting Edgy while having a PCMCIA wireless card plugged in. I haven't bothered to figure out a cause yet, but I'm assuming it's due to the wonky ACPI implementation on that machine.
Josh
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rlozano on Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:34 am

can you post the full specification of your machine? so we have a better picture of the problem...

thanks.
rlozano
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mover47 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:27 am

Josh,

Your comment gave me an idea and I added acpi=off in the options. That worked-- had Bea loaded and installed in no time. Thanks.

On a side note, I actually installed Bea on a different system altogether after rethinking how I want to use my different machines. I had no issues at all with that installation.

I'm using Bea now, with Nvidia set up (no problems thanks to the forum!), and I'm listening to tunes on Amarok. Bea is truly awesome. I'm thinking I could set this up for my mom, whose biggest computer problem has been viruses via Windoze.

Great distro! Thank you!
mover47
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mover47 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:44 am

I should have mentioned that I'm listening to my tunes on the NTFS partition--nice! No need to move anything. Can't wait to see what else I can do...Think I'll call in sick and play with Bea!
mover47
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot