Daryna Text based install?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Daryna Text based install?

Postby raid517 on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:03 am

Hi, the official Ubuntu releases have always included an alternate text based install CD, which is useful for systems with limited memory.

Does Daryna have such a CD, or do any Linux Mint editions have such a CD?

I ask as the graphics installer takes literally days to execute on my laptop, which is a Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Pro V2030. (Indeed I can never finish the installation as the entire process simply takes too long).

It would seem sensible to have a text based installer for exactly these kinds of scenarios.
raid517
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:44 am

Sorry - we don't have the resources to make a text based install
But as you say install takes for ever this means that you are able to boot the live cd.
Do so, and create a swap partition with Gparted. You have to create an extended partition and create the swap in it.
Then reboot and the swap will be used and things should go much smoother
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby raid517 on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:53 am

Well considering that GParted takes more than an hour to launch on it's own - and every operation, from creating the partition, to pressing certain buttons, to even closing it down is likely to take just as long, this might not be entirely practical.

Is there perhaps a non graphical way to create a swap partition?
raid517
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:14 am

Did not realize it was that bad :)
man parted
Read it so you get the general idea
An extensive manual
http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manu ... arted.html
I've not used it but I think it's the back end of GParted
I suppose there is nothing else on that laptop ...
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Lolo Uila on Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:54 pm

Try the XFCE Community Editions. They are less memory heavy than the GNOME or KDE versions.

Aloha, Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Daryna Text based install?

Postby Bruce_G on Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:28 pm

Another reason to have a text installer is the nVidia graphics driver on the CD. I have an nVidia 6100 chipset, so the CD gives me an 800x600 pixel desktop. Since most of the windows in the LinuxMint installer are >600 pixels high, I can't get through the it. That means I can't do much with this distro.

Ubuntu has the same problem, but they have the text-based alternate installer.

Mepis solves the problem by letting users opt-in to the proprietary nVidia driver when booting from the CD.

-Bruce
Bruce_G
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:00 am

"safe graphics mode" gives me 1024x768 or possibly better....
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Bruce_G on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:05 am

Thank you, Husse.

That worked.

-Bruce
Bruce_G
Level 1
Level 1

Postby robnix on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:31 am

A text installer would be very useful. I have a Thinkpad t60p with a firegl 5250 that I can't install Darnya on because you cannot get X to start. This was an issue with Gutsy as well. The only way to install Gutsy was with the alternate install CD.
robnix

Postby llin-mint on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:35 am

I have a strange problem with Ubuntu and Mint live cd's which I can fix by using a different graphics card during the installation. My main computer has an 8800GT which when you try to boot up the live cd it stalls on loading xorg. To fix this I put in a 8600GT and do the whole installation, and install the latest nvidia drivers with the latest Envy. Thats the only way I can get my main computer to install a live CD, it's a good thing my 8600gt and 8800gt work with the same nvidia drivers or I would be SOL completely :?

To test to be sure it was the live cd and not something else, I downloaded the ubuntu gutsy gibbon 32bit alternate cd, (which also has an excellent partition manager which allowed me to create 5 small partitions for the use of distro hopping :D) and installed it with the text based installer with the 8800GT and it worked perfectly. I'm not sure exactly why the 8600GT works with live cd's and the 8800GT doesn't but I have the feeling when the new distros come out this year that problem will be fixed, because the 8800GT is still a pretty young card.

Not that big of a deal to me, but it would be nice for others who don't have the option of swapping video cards at installation, to just have it work with the live cd. I don't know how much work it would be to make an alternate cd like the one ubuntu has, but if it doesn't take a huge amount of manpower I think it would be well worth it to include one with the other mint distros on the download page. I'm sure it would be a popular choice and be used enough to justify the work put into it.

Anyways, just my not so savvy comment on this, whatever ends up happening i'm just glad that mint exists because it's one of the best in the Linux world these days :D everyone that comes to my house is impressed with my mint box (the 8600GT) that I have on my HDTV in the living room :mrgreen:

What can I say? The name speaks for itself :P
llin-mint
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot