grub and install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

grub and install

Postby dave67 on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:34 am

Hi new to mint like what I see, here is the problem

I installed last night and got a error of 21 I know that is because grub can not fine the hard disk. tonight I reinstalled and when i partitioned the drive I selected (hd1)
and this time got nothing no grub at all.

here is my setup on the PC I have 2 drives one is win2000 and I wanted to try mint on the second. I am not new to Linux I use Pclinuxos but this is the first time I encountered this issue with grub. what do I tell grub to put the menu list?
dave67
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:20 am

selected (hd1)

Is this for grub - the "Advanced" option in the last box when you select options for install?
You can have grub where you please but if you don't put it in the MBR of the first disk you must have something to "lead you right" - a change in the boot loader already there or a change in the boot order in BIOS
If not the computer (obviously) just boots what ever is on the first disk.
You could try to repair grub and put it in (hd0)
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _your_grub
In the menu.lst there is an example how you add an existing Windows to the boot options
You may have to use the live CD for this
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby dave67 on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:30 am

Yes for the advanced option , but the thing is when i first did this and it was set at hd0 I got a error 21 and the was already set that way. I did print the how to repair grub. But I allways put grub on the first disk, but do i set it as hd0, 1 does this mean hd1 paratiton 1 ?

but with just this (hd0)
the error 21 pop ups. most other Linux operating systems I have used just put it on the first disk. this is how my win2000, pclinuxos is set up. I will read the grub repair but I do not know much about how grub works.
the systems reads my hard drives as hda and hdb. not hd0 or hd1. guess this is just linux not grub.

In the mean time I will try using the grub repair

thanks
dave67
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:20 pm

In the wiki you will read that grub starts from zero - should have mentioned it and it always uses hd
so hd0 in grub is the equivalent of sda1 - the first partition of the first disk
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby dave67 on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:59 pm

When I first installed mint it was set as hd0 which gave me error 21, than I tried hd1 which showed no menu for grub. Mint is installed on the second hard drive, so i would use the live cd to tell grub that the Mint partition is on the second hd. this would be hd2 correct?

I have not had the time to do the grub repair but this above is what I am thinking. I would use the find command to see if I am right
dave67
Level 1
Level 1

grub and install

Postby BakUp on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:28 am

dave67 wrote:this would be hd2 correct ?

The 1st partition of a second hard drive would be hd1,0
BakUp
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Installation & Boot