Startup disk creator includes installed software? Or not?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
halfnote5

Startup disk creator includes installed software? Or not?

Post by halfnote5 »

I've been looking for a solution to make a custom startup disk of Linux, and I've recently been enjoying a mint distribution. (Slax is good, but the hardware support's a little flaky here and there.)

MY question is - the startup USB creator in Mint - does it include on the USB drive all installed apps that are in the copy of mint you're using to make it? I.E. if I installed, say, a graphin calculator app in mint, would that also be included in the produced USB stick?

And if not, how can I accomplish this?

I'd rather not make 20 sticks, and then have to go back and install the appropriate software on all of them (as copying one to another doesn't really work for bootables).

Thanks!
-Duffy

(P.S. I'm sure the answer is already out there somewhere but all I can find, upon searching, are quite a few in-depth discussions on the startup maker vs. unetbootin, which is a great program but really doesn't do what I'm looking for at the moment. Sorry for such a rudimentary questions. but I did, in fact, JFGI ;)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Startup disk creator includes installed software? Or not

Post by 900i »

I have recently made a custom usb drive as follows.

Install all required apps on your system and remove the ones you dont need.

Install Remastersys.

Run remastersys and create a custom iso of your system.

Burn custom iso to cd/dvd.

Reboot system with custom media and install to usb drive. Or not if you just want a 'live' system.

P.s. If you do a remastersys backup as opposed to a remastersys distribution, make sure you dont have any user data on your system as the iso could be enormous.

Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
halfnote5

Post by halfnote5 »

Precisely the info I was looking for. Thanks!
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Glad to help.

Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Remastersys is a cool app but having some limitations which you should know about them.
halfnote5

Post by halfnote5 »

Thanks! Good to know - I think I can work with that.

Just curious (though I guess I could try it and find out myself) but DOES the usb boot disk maker in mint include programs that have been installed or is it just the base system?
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

No it does not. It only creates a base install, to the best of my knowledge.

Good Luck,
Dave
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

I've never done any usb-custom-bootable disk but as above "900i" writes:

"Run remastersys and create a custom iso of your system.
Burn custom iso to cd/dvd.
Reboot system with custom media and install to usb drive. Or not if you just want a 'live' system."

So, I suppose it's based on that remastered (by remastersys) and booted iso, so the same content you will do on the usb-flash disk...

P.S. Wait for a guru confirmation, if is it so... :D
Last edited by Elisa on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halfnote5

Post by halfnote5 »

Thanks! Saves me the trouble of meticulously building a fresh system and not having it work via USB, although I'll have to do that anyway to get it going with remastersys, it seems with the latter I have a tad more leeway with building the resulting USB editions.

Thanks again, everyone!
halfnote5

Post by halfnote5 »

Yeah - I figured if it didn't work with the remastersys ISO directly, I could run the resultant ISO of the distributable version through unetbootin, and have a distributable, live bootable USB of a custom system without mucking about with building my own version of an install from scratch. I'll keep you guys posted on how it works. I just need to get my hands on a system I can install mint on natively and install all the appropriate software on.

Te reasoning behind this is so that we can all pop into our clients offices and have "our" computers on us without actually having to carry a laptop all over creation. If your computer, complete with all the necessary software resides on your keyring, the life is pretty sweet.

Slax does a good job, but Mint is awesome, and seems to have a wider range of hardware support. Since we have 16 GB microSD's and 64GB usb sticks, the resultant size of the liveUSB wouldn't really be an issue. Hellooooo, portable workstations. ; )
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

halfnote5 wrote:Te reasoning behind this is so that we can all pop into our clients offices and have "our" computers on us without actually having to carry a laptop all over creation. If your computer, complete with all the necessary software resides on your keyring, the life is pretty swee
Thats precisely it. My computer is always with me on my keyring. No hard drive in laptop at home,no need.

Return to “Installation & Boot”