[Tabled] 64 bit live Julia will not boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ddmetzger

[Tabled] 64 bit live Julia will not boot

Post by ddmetzger »

I have recently purchased a Dell Optiplex 740 (AMD 64 Athlon x2 3800; 2 gig RAM; 150 gig HD; nVidia graphics). This system runs fine except that it will not boot the 64 bit LinuxMint 10 "Julia" live disk. I have downloaded and burned to disk both the CD and DVD versions with equally disappointing results.

The initial Grub screen comes up OK. I choose either "start Mint" or the "compatibility" mode and the 'load vmlinuz' and 'load initrd' commands are executed and then the terminal prints "Ready." and just sits there with the cursor flashing -- forever. Ctl-Alt-Del and Ctl-Alt-BS have no effect. I have also tried booting by adding "nouveau.blacklist=1" to the kernel instruction line (because of the nVidia graphics chipset) with no better result. I get the same result when I attempt to run either the 'Memory Test' or the 'Check Disk Integrity' apps.

I have successfully booted and run LinuxMint 9 64 bit, Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit, and Open Suse 11.3 64 bit live disks on this computer.

Can anyone suggest how I can get Julia 64 to boot? Ultimately I would like to install it on the hard drive and replace LinuxMint 9 Isadora for day-to-day use.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: 64 bit live Julia will not boot

Post by seeley »

Hi!
Maybe the medium is corrupt; it is possible to check it from a running Linux: please see my help,
Integrity, reply4.
seeley
ddmetzger

Post by ddmetzger »

Hi (?) Seeley,

Thank you for your reply. I have downloaded and burned CDs and DVDs for LinuxMint 10 Gnome 64 bit TWICE.

I was unable to locate "Integrity reply #4" but I went back and verified the checksum again and it agrees precisely with the checksum published on the Mint download site.

At this point I am forced to conclude that there is a bug in both the live CD and DVD code for 64 bit since the CD and DVD for 32 bit work just fine.

I always burn at the slowest available speed and I have burned a dozen different live OS disks on this equipment without an error.
ddmetzger

Post by ddmetzger »

I was able to locate "integrity reply4" and followed the procedure. The checksum yielded by the procedure is identical to the one published on the LinuxMint download site. I believe this means that my CD as burned is identical to the data source used by the download site.

Has anybody out there been able to get either the DVD or CD live disks of Mint 10 64-bit to boot on an AMD 64 bit computer?
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
It is possible that a 32 bit Linux live medium boots and a 64 bit does not boot on the same computer (I once had this problem with Ubuntu). And it may be that you are able to install 32 bit (and not 64 bit).
seeley
ddmetzger

Post by ddmetzger »

I have Mint 10 32-bit Julia installed on the same machine and there was no boot problem. I also have Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit installed with no problem. There has got to be a difference between Ubuntu and Mint leading to this problem. It is a disappointment not being able to run 64 bits but I guess I will have to live with it or switch to Ubuntu. As more and more programs start taking advantage of 64 bit capability, this could be a negative for Mint. What is the best way to let the Mint developers know about this without offending them?

Thank you!!
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
As a normal user you don't realize a difference between 32 and 64 bit; I made tests since a couple of years with a dozen (and more) distributions; but there could be additional problems (special programs, libraries,...).
If you don't have further questions concerning this thread, please edit your first post and add [solved] to the subject line.
seeley
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

seeley wrote: If you don't have further questions concerning this thread, please edit your first post and add [solved] to the subject line.
Why add [solved] when the problem isn't solved?
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
ddmetzger wrote:... As more and more programs start taking advantage of 64 bit capability, this could be a negative for Mint. What is the best way to let the Mint developers know about this without offending them?
Thank you!!
As I wrote: a normal user will never realize that 64 bit is faster; you maybe will have problems (programs only available for 32 bit, libraries,..).
I'm on several Linux forums and sometimes asked a similar question and never got an answer, once I was writing a bug report, which 100% was a bug, but the arrogance (not on this forum) of a developer induced me never again to write a bug report.
rob2uk wrote:
seeley wrote: If you don't have further questions concerning this thread, please edit your first post and add [solved] to the subject line.
Why add [solved] when the problem isn't solved?
Okay - a possible point of you in this case, but as you see no one gave an answer within 6 days.

There is one possibility ( I always use after having a similar problem): Create live USB with UNetbootin - a better chance!
PartedMagic contains UNetbootin and many other useful tools.
Info @ http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=start
seeley
taxpayer

Re: [Tabled] 64 bit live Julia will not boot

Post by taxpayer »

I have a similar, not identical, experience to ddmetzger's. I have AMD 64 hardware, but Julia 64 (in my case, KDE RC) would not install. Booting with the DVD just got me to the regular grub screen for Mint 9 and my other usual options, not Mint 10.

So I used UNetbootin, and have successfully booted. Thanks seeley for your suggestion.

This is my first try with 64-bit; I do not know whether I will use it for production but wanted to see how it works and what problems I might encounter with it.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi taxpayer!
Glad to read that I gave you a useful hint.
I recommend PartedMagic 5.9, because it contains many useful tools (GParted 0.7,...) and the only UNetbootin which works without problem (in contrast to UNetbootin in Windows and other Linux distributions). BTW: PM is an operating system, too.
Enjoyable that I received a favorable post before vacation; after having solved my hardware problem (I suppose I have to buy a new computer) I will be back - in some weeks.
seeley
ddmetzger

Post by ddmetzger »

I am still at "ground zero" with Linux MINT 64-bit [anything]. I have tried the 64-bit versions of almost every flavor of MINT and NONE of them get past grub (live CD or DVD). I have compared checksums on all of the versions and have ripped back to an ISO file for several and I have never encountered a checksum disagreement. This problem occurs on my DELL Optiplex 740 computer [AMD 64 X 2 with 2 gig RM]. From various posts, this problem has been around since Mint 9 and yet nobody seems to be working on it. Would it do any good to submit a bug report??
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

I'm having trouble finding the forum post I wanted to link you to, but it seemed as though it could be a workaround for the problem you are having.

1: Boot your PC from the Ubuntu 10.10 x64 DVD.
2: Select your language from the first menu.
3: When you are at the menu that asks if you would like to install Ubuntu or try it without installing, remove the DVD and insert the Mint x64 disk.
4: Wait for the DVD drive light to stop flashing, then select 'Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer'

Hopefully this will get you to a point where you can install Mint as normal.
busydoingnothing

Post by busydoingnothing »

Are you still having trouble? My girlfriend got the same machine (Optiplex 740) for her mom and I had the same problem (sitting at Ready), but I found a post that solved my problem. I put "mem=1982M" (without quotes) in the startup line. I created a USB flash with Linux Live USB Creator and booted off that. I initially had trouble booting off USB, but flashed to the latest BIOS (2.2.5 I believe) from the Dell website and it was fine. I got Linux Mint installed and it's running just fine. Hope this helps!
andrewmartin9

Post by andrewmartin9 »

I have Mint Julia 10 32-bit installed on the same machine and there was no problem to boot. I have also 10.10 of 64-bit Ubuntu installed without any problem. There must be a difference between Ubuntu and Mint that leads to this problem. It is disappointing not being able to run 64-bit, but I guess I will have to live with it or switch to Ubuntu. As more and more programs start taking advantage of the capacity of 64 bits, this could be detrimental to the Mint.

Return to “Installation & Boot”