Boot modification for dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yo2ldk

Boot modification for dual boot

Post by yo2ldk »

hi,
i installed Julia but, i selected for manual partition install, so before i have it XP, and now boot only on linux
Can i change that, to have dual boot - xp and Julia?
thank you !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Boot modification for dual boot

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If you did a manual partition installation and the Grub bootloader did not automatically set up a dual boot menu, you probably installed Mint over Windows XP, erasing Windows in the process. If so, there are basically two options.

The first option to set up a dual boot is to reinstall Windows without deleting Mint and fix your Grub bootloader afterwards (since Windows will destroy Grub when it is reinstalled)

The other option is to delete everything on the drive and start from scratch. Partition the drive ahead of time (use Gparted from the Mint live media) into two partitions. One formatted ntfs for Windows, and the other formatted ext4 for Mint. Install Windows first to the ntfs partition (it will find the partition and ask if that is where you want to install Windows).

Once Windows is installed, install Mint to the ext4 partition and the Grub installer will set up your dual boot for you.
yo2ldk

Post by yo2ldk »

thank's for fast reply,
i make this steps:
-live boot from usb with julia
-selected another empty partition (like d:\)
-format that with qparted in ext4 and for swap
-install from usb to hdd, on selected new ext4 partition (D)
- in (C), i have windows untouched....

can i edit/repair grub for dual boot?

regards
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

You must have installed Grub to the Mint partition instead of the mbr. See this entry in the Ubuntu wiki for a procedure to reinstall Grub where it needs to be for a dual boot. The first method will probably be best and easiest.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... m%20LiveCD

Return to “Installation & Boot”