Dual Boot default Windows over Mint 10

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cpt. Slacker

Dual Boot default Windows over Mint 10

Post by Cpt. Slacker »

Hi, just installed Julia for the second time. First time I spaced and installed it to drive2 (80gSATA) instead of to partition1 on drive1( a terabyte SATA) Windows xp is on partition2. DRV2 is now only storage and the swap file for windows. First time, it booted to the black screen with a short time to hit the down arrow and open windows. But this time it goes straight to Linux without any way I could find to change. Yes, I found Fred's instructions and began to follow. But, I get to step 1 and of course time to enter password. And...now the keyboard refuses to work. Cursor is blinking, will NOT type. Restart, retry, several times. :? OK I'm stuck! Keyboard worked fine yesterday for all the additions and customizing etc. I have that 'puter the way I want, but I seem to have effectively locked myself out of Windows. Where is the KEY? BTW who is Fred? Need some help here, please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Dual Boot default Windows over Mint 10

Post by Roken »

Try pressing the shift key at boot up, which may get you to the grub selection screen where you can select Windows.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
StanTheMan

Re: Dual Boot default Windows over Mint 10

Post by StanTheMan »

Fred is a major member of the Linux Mint team.

If you can bring up a Linux Mint desktop , in Menu find the Terminal.
If this brings up the window for Terminal , type " sudo update-grub " . This will let your grub system hunt for any operating systems , and should find Windows.
Then re-boot and see if Windows is on the list.

Return to “Installation & Boot”