Login problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Login problem

Postby marcel99 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:58 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a new fan of Linux Mint. :) I have downloaded the Linux Mint 4.0 Beta Xfce live CD and installed it on my laptops.

Well, everything works fine on my ThinkPad T41. But on my T40 I have the following problem: After a restart of the system when the installation is finished I can't login. Linux Mint boots until the login screen, I enter the user name and the password -- but nothing. I get the error message that either the user name or the password is wrong. But it definitely isn't. I have even re-installed Linux Mint, but got the same result. The md5 sum of the downloaded iso image is correct.

I had another distribution installed before Linux Mint and I kept the home directory from that distribution.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.
Marcel
Last edited by marcel99 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
marcel99
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:49 am

This may be the result of left over password(s) in /home
Not that it should happen
There are some files in /home with keyring in the name that could do something - but again I don't think so.
It can't hurt to delete or remove these keyring files and see what happens
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby marcel99 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:53 am

Hi Husse,

thank you for your reply.
Can you tell me how the filenames of those keyring files usually look like? Maybe it will work when I delete all of them and re-install Linux Mint.

Have a nice evening!
Marcel
marcel99
Level 1
Level 1

Postby marcel99 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:28 pm

Hello again,

okay, the question for the file name was a little bit stupid. :roll: I found one file in the hidden folder "keyfile" and I deleted that file. But it didn't help. :( I will try the new stable version.

Kind regards
Marcel
marcel99
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Login problem

Postby marcel99 on Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:12 am

Hello from Denmark!

Now I have the problem again. It gets annoying. I cannot login. :roll: What I have done:
  • It is a dual boot system: Linux Mint and (for a special program, which I have to use seldom) WinXP. But that shouldn't matter. I installed WinXP at 1st, then Linux Mint. No Problem, works fine.
  • I have an existing home partition from another distribution. Before I installed Linux Mint I formated the system partition and deleted all files and folders on the home partition, except the folders which contain my personal documents.
  • I installed Linux Mint 1 week ago. Everything was fine, also login. Then, after I haven't used the laptop for one week, I realized yesterday that I again (or still) have no write access to some folders on my home partition. The regarding folders also had icons with crosses, which indicates restricted permissions on that folders.
  • The folder properties dialog stated that the owner of the regarding folders is "500". So I used the chown command to change that. Everything looked fine afterwards.
  • Surprise! After the logout I wasn't able to login anymore! :? I enter my user name and password on the login screen, but Linux Mint is of the opinion that it is wrong.
  • I found one file login.keyring in the folder /home/marcel/.gnome2/keyrings. I didn't want to delete it hastly, so I renamed it (via Linux Mint Live CD) to XX_login.keyring. But it did not help.
So please, does anybody know a solution? My Linux Mint installation is completely set up and I don't want to do everything again and be afraid, that the login problem occurs again one day. I would really like to stick to Linux Mint ... On my other laptop everything works fine and reliable. It seems to be a very, very good distribution -- if the login works.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Marcel
marcel99
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Login problem

Postby Husse on Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:27 pm

I think I see the problem
When you use the /home partition for more than one installed version you have to
A) Have exactly the same user name in all
B) Have the same UID in all. Mint has 1000 by default
Hope this helps
I'll (try to) look up a similar post with a solution and come back
I've contributed but I can't find a suitable search phrase so I find it...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot