Fresh install LM10-Julia - Failed to unmount [Solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Daikini

Fresh install LM10-Julia - Failed to unmount [Solved]

Post by Daikini »

Hi Folks,

I'm an absolute newbie to Linux.

I've installed it twice on a laptop, a desktop, and now I'm working on desktop #2.

I'm installing in OEM mode.

During the install process, I get to select partitions and I get the error "Failed to unmount partitions: /cdrom.

I've triple-checked that none of the partitions (only 2 total, one for swap and one at root for mounting) are not /cdrom.

Any ideas? I've tried installing from CD and from USB with the same result.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Daikini

Re: Fresh install LM10-Julia - Failed to unmount [Solved]

Post by Daikini »

Well, I decided to connect the IHD to another computer, format it (which was an option, luckily), then begin the install again.

I tried to boot from the drive in question on another machine, and it said that BOOTMGR was missing, which explains why shortly after my previous post, the computer wouldn't boot at all.

Thus the formatting and reinstallation of LM10 from another computer.

I'll post an update with the results once it's been installed on the original MOBO.
Last edited by Daikini on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daikini

Re: Fresh install LM10-Julia - Failed to unmount

Post by Daikini »

So, I've been on a roller coaster since I began a "simple" install of Mint.

Maybe someone here has a suggestion.

I had already downloaded and burned the BIOS for this machine (Dell Optiplex 320) and burned to CD for possible reinstallation.

I thought it would come in handy when I saw the BIOS load, then show a black screen with a blinking cursor.

Ctrl+Alt+Delete gets me back to reboot where I can run diagnostics (DELL) and EVERYTHING, literally, is OK according to them.

But, so far, no love.

Any ideas?

Much appreciated!

EDIT: I should say that this is formatted as NTFS via Windows. I just thought of that... hmmm... maybe I should format it to EXT3 via Linux Mint with a crossover cable?

EDIT 2: That didn't work because it wouldn't load the OS, which makes sense. So, the BIOS loads, but it's not booting the OS.
lauren

Post by lauren »

Hi!
OEM mode (Original Equipment Manufacturer) is not the right choice:
For manufacturers, to pre-install Linux Mint on computers without setting up a user account.
please see: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Daikini

Post by Daikini »

OEM worked on the previous two installs.

And, UPDATE... It worked this time around... finally.

I booted from the LM10 OEM Install CD by pressing F12 and selecting the CD drive.

Then, I reinstalled the OS, rebooted, downloaded updates, then rebooted to be sure it would take.

It DID! Wow, what a mess.

But, it's done and we're on the road!
lauren

Post by lauren »

Hi Daikini!
Normally the OP marks his thread as solved by editing his first post and adding [solved] to the subject line, if there are no more unanswered questions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”