Install Mint on HP Netbook

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
natchezjohn

Install Mint on HP Netbook

Post by natchezjohn »

I have an HP Netbook with a (TINY) 16 gig hd.

I wish to install Mint 10 on it using the entire hd. Of course no cd/dvd drive.

How do I do it? Please be detailed.

Thank you,
John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Install Mint on HP Netbook

Post by Aging Technogeek »

You really only have two options.

1. Get an external CD/DVD drive and install from this using the standard procedure outlined in the Mint User Guide.

2. Load the .iso file to a usb flash drive and install from this. If you are downloading Mint from Windows, get Pendrive Linux

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

and use it to put the .iso file on the flash drive. If you are in Linux already, use Unetbootin (available in the Mint-Ubuntu-Debian repos and probably in the rpm repos for Fedora, etc.) or download Multisystem

http://liveusb.info/dotclear/

Once the .iso file is on the flash drive, installation is almost identical to installation from a CD/DVD. The biggest difference is that installing from a flash drive is considerably faster.

Just plug the flash drive (or external CD/DVD drive) in and turn on the computer. As soon as the HP logo appears, press the proper key to enter the boot menu set-up (on most HP systems this is F10) and set the proper drive (external usb or CD/DVD) to boot first.

The system will boot to the live desktop. At this point, the OS is running from the external media and nothing is installed. You can try out the functions of the OS to make sure everything works. Just be aware that, especially if you are using a CD/DVD to boot from, the system will be slow. When installed Mint will be much quicker. Also, any changes or installations you make to the live desktop will not be saved at the end of the session and will not carry over to the final installation.

When you decide ti install Mint, since you are using the entire SSD, just use the automatic install option (I think it is "Install using entire disk" or something similar). This will format the SSD (ext4 is the default file system) and set up all required partitions for you.

The only other thing you will need to do is answer the simple questions about your time zone, language, keyboard, user name, password, computer name, and login (auto or password required).

With a CD/DVD, the installation should take 15 - 30 minutes depending on the speed of your system and the need to format the SSD.

Installing from a usb drive will take 7-12 minutes.
natchezjohn

Re: Install Mint on HP Netbook

Post by natchezjohn »

TERRIFICO (probably a made up word) Exactly what I needed.

Thank you VERY much,

John

Return to “Installation & Boot”