Dual Boot / GRUB Being Bypassed

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Dual Boot / GRUB Being Bypassed

Postby GrEn on Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:28 am

I just installed Mint on a new hard drive and its working great other than GRUB. I have windows installed on one of my two sata hard drives and I just pick up and extra IDE drive from a friend that I put Mint on. After the installation was complete it booted right into windows without the GRUB menu ever coming up. I left the settings at default for GRUB when I did the install but I did the partitions myself so I didn't need to use the full drive for my Mint install. Right now the only way for me to boot Mint is to boot the live cd and select boot from the first hard drive, then the GRUB menu shows up. I'm not sure what to do to fix this. Any help would be great, thanks everyone :)

Oh yeah, I have 3 hard drives, one has two NTFS partitions, and another has one NTFS. The new one that I just installed Mint on has a swap partition, the ext3 partition for Mint that is about 30GB and a FAT32 partition for the free space. In GRUB I saw that it installed to (hd0) but I didnt see that anywhere when I was doing my partitions. The only drives I have were hda, sda, sdb. I'm still new to using Linux so I'm not sure if its normal to install to hd0 but not see it.
GrEn
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:03 am

I think this has to do with that you mix SATA and IDE drives
You have put Grub on hd(0) and on IDE that's the disk you have Mint on.
Change the boot order for the disks in BIOS so the IDE disk is first and then you'll get grub as it should be.
Had you installed on one of the SATA disks the first of these would have been hd(0)
This is not consistent for all systems (I think) but depends on your motherboard
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot