Mint hangs on boot after update (x-post from Newbie forum)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tom_Accuosti

Mint hangs on boot after update (x-post from Newbie forum)

Post by Tom_Accuosti »

Machine:
AMD Athlon 3200
MB: Biostar M7VIG 400
2gb ram
120 g SATA (SCSI) drive
NVidia GForce 2 64m

Problem:
I've been trying to set this up as a home PC. I can install Mint 10 without any problems, but in the last few days, every time I reboot after d/loading the updates, my PC hangs at the gray boot menu screen. It doesn't count down, and even the cursor won't allow me to select a different option. Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't respond, either; I have to kill the power. Rebooting doesn't fix the problem, and I can't even get to a command line (not that I'd know what to do with it).

I'm installing Mint for the 3rd time this week. I haven't installed any software not in the repos: Wine, X-screensaver, Chromium, Virtualbox. My next step will be to skip installing the non-essential updates (the ones marked 3).

Would appreciate any feedback.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Mint hangs on boot after update (x-post from Newbie foru

Post by viking777 »

Well there is this post here about lockups, but it is relevant to LMDE not Mint10:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 95#p388045

I don't know if libudev or libgudev form part of your update to Mint 10? If it does you could always try leaving them out and see what happens.

The other thing I would think about is this.

The purpose of 'levels' in Mintupdate is to preserve a level of stability for those who aren't willing or able to fix breakages themselves. Well look at it this way, your present install is not exactly very 'stable' is it because you can't get any less stable than 'broken', so what is the point of trying to make it more stable by missing out even more packages? You might just as well update the whole lot (that means levels 4+5 or better still use synaptic which will do that anyway). My personal opinion is that you are likely to make the situation even worse by leaving out packages that should be updated, not make it any better. So what if it doesn't work? Is it any worse than it is now? If you update the lot (using synaptic or the terminal) and it works, you can always go back to your conservative level 3 afterwards can't you?
Tom_Accuosti

Re: Mint hangs on boot after update (x-post from Newbie foru

Post by Tom_Accuosti »

Well, I swapped out the GeForce AGP video card for an older and presumably slower Hercules AGP card, and swapped my USB keyboard for an older Logitech PS2 keyboard. So far things appear to be working as expected.

Edit: There's a 2nd hard drive in that machine with WinXP on it. When I tried booting into that, the USB mouse wouldn't work at first. Apparently, the issue is the USB ports; I'm going to try switching to a PS2 mouse - if I can find one. But rebooting into Mint was no problem after i switched the keyboards.

Return to “Installation & Boot”